Type of Oil

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

CIVICTRON

stealthcivic
I was running 5W30 in my civic D16Z6 engine, but its boosted and i just currently overheated the car due to oil breakdown(i think the turbo broke the oil down) and scorched all my pistons and even the sides of my cylinders a lil bit , i replaced that and im currently running 10W30, not running the car hard because im not sure what kind of oil to run with a turbo, I was talking to a few buddies and they said to run 25W50, Pensoil GT Racing Oil,a regular mineral based oil its not synthetic. Im thinking that this will help keep the car cooler and protect my parts under excess heat. Future plans are to install a bigger radiator and a oil cooler. I was just wondering if this is correct, if this is the right oil to run. Thnaks.

Well, I know a couple of guys who run 10W30 synthetic in their turbo cars with no problems(I know Mitsubishi recommends Mobil 1 10W30 for the Lancer Evo). Higher weights will help though if you're definitely running hot for extended periods of time.

Also, a lot of the real race oils have higher zinc and would cause accelerated wear on your catalytic converter.

id say the 10w30 as well lot of bodies got turbo cars and thats what they use, u sure the seals in ur turbo r ok. cuz it shouldnt be killin ur engine with 5w30 just burn lil bit quicker.

im not too sure about the seals in the turbo it seems fine, theres no visible leaks or oil in the charge pipe. How could shot seals in the turbo cause heat damage inside the motor when oil preasure is always high?

Last edited:
Back