Type R Cams, Valve and Valvetrain Motor Swap Upgrade

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Punisher

I have a 170ps stock jdm B16A lying around unused for 4 years and a used jdm ITR manifold and header. I am looking to upgrade the camshaft, valvetrain internals. After looking through the list of parts. I am looking to get the CTR intake and ITR exhaust camshafts along with other valvetrain upgrades together with my motor swap.

(1) Are the Type R lost motion assemblies really necessary with the camshafts upgrade?

(2) Can I move my B16A intake dual valve springs towards the exhaust side, just get the Type R intake valve springs and re-use all the spring retainers & seats? I think this can be done with the B18C, not too sure for the B16A.

(3) Can I just replace 8 intake valves to Type R ones and leave the 8 exhaust valves alone. Save $ and time from re-seating the valves.

Thanks.

i wouldnt worry about the valves. All of the valvesprings, retainers, lmas and cams. You are revving higher and the b16 alvetrain should be upgraded to accomidate.

Quoted post[/post]]
i wouldnt worry about the valves. All of the valvesprings, retainers, lmas and cams. You are revving higher and the b16 alvetrain should be upgraded to accomidate.

I've a neighbour who has an Integra GSR B18C who performed the swap. He found the part numbers for GSR intake dual valve springs P72 to be the same on the Type R exhaust side, same can be said for the 32 retainers P30 & seats PR3.

I understand that if you buy aftermarket camshafts [ie. Toda, Crower etc] and springs [ie. titanium], you need to use their retainers and seats also made of titanium?

So I was wondering if there shouldn't be any difference between the dual intake valve springs of the B18C and B16A (PR3 or P30), could I just move the B16A dual intake valve springs to the exhaust side?

LMAs have different part numbers, P73 to P30, but could be twins with different names? I've seldom heard of swapping the LMAs with Type R ones, probably its more of a assurance than a performance asset. I've heard some horror stories of guys taking their modded ride out on the track experiencing broken camshafts with scenarios similar to snapped timing belts during VTEC, resulting not only in bent valves, destroyed cylinder heads and fractured crankshaft??? :hmm: all due to the LMAs different spring rate & clearance?

Another qn, is the 00-01 usdm ITR intake camshaft similiar in specs to the CTR intake camshaft?

Thanxxx

Back