type r cams vtec crossover

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

b18c1vic

I got some type r cams for my gsr swap and I have a couple of noobie questions. First when I change the cams, should i also change my vtec engagement to the stock type point or keep it at the stock 4400 for my gsr? Second what are the advantages to getting titanium retainers over steel retainers?

Without being on a dyno to check where your torque starts to drop your better off just leaving it where it is. Besides once you wrap out one gear and bang the next your going to be in vtec anyways even if you moved the switch point up a few rpms, unless you shift slow!! The advantage of the titanium retainers are that they are lighter a reduce valve train mass making them more stable with higher rpms. But your valve springs are more important to controlling valve float. I would recommend getting a type r valve spring set, they have dual valve springs on the intake and exhaust vs. your gsr set which only has dual springs on the intake side. You can buy them on ebay here eBay: OEM HONDA ITR INTEGRA CTR CIVIC TYPE R VALVE SPRINGS (item 290079715989 end time Feb-13-07 23:46:15 PST)
for a reasonable price. Just reuse the retainers you have now. ;)

Without being on a dyno to check where your torque starts to drop your better off just leaving it where it is. Besides once you wrap out one gear and bang the next your going to be in vtec anyways even if you moved the switch point up a few rpms, unless you shift slow!! The advantage of the titanium retainers are that they are lighter a reduce valve train mass making them more stable with higher rpms. But your valve springs are more important to controlling valve float. I would recommend getting a type r valve spring set, they have dual valve springs on the intake and exhaust vs. your gsr set which only has dual springs on the intake side. You can buy them on ebay here eBay: OEM HONDA ITR INTEGRA CTR CIVIC TYPE R VALVE SPRINGS (item 290079715989 end time Feb-13-07 23:46:15 PST)
for a reasonable price. Just reuse the retainers you have now. ;)
I was thinking about buying a skunk2 set with the titanium retainers...eBay Motors: SKUNK2 TITANIUM RETAINERS VALVE SPRINGS B16A B18C VTEC (item 320080905226 end time Feb-16-07 02:34:00 PST).
Is this a reasonable price?

Yes, that is a good price. I used them once in my friends ls/vtec build he also had their stage2 cams. If you can afford them they are the way to go. If your considering all of this work I would take the head off and have a valve job done as well and replace the valve seals. Wouldnt be a bad idea

So those should be good with the type r cams? Yeah I was thinking of just porting and polishing the head while I had it off, maybe take it to king motorsports if they can give me a good price.

Back