Type R Camshafts (Finally found some!!)

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

CAFROG

Honda Minion
VIP
So some of you may know (based on previous threads of mine) That I have been searching for Type R camshafts for some time. Mostly ran into craigslist guys selling GSR camshafts and acting like they're type r ones. I ran into 6 different guys total.

I finally found some that were still for sale. $320 plus $5-8 in gas (and my time) Sorry for the out of focus....I was too close. He thought they were 00/01 ITR's but I think they might be CTR's instead. Any guesses?? (and yes 00/01 ITR's are different then CTR's)

IMG_2221.jpg

And here are the brand new Skunk2 Cam Gears I won on Ebay for $151 delivered
IMG_2222.jpg

I have a friend at a Acura Dealership and he's looking into a deal for me (fingers crossed) for springs, keepers and maybe other parts (like retainers although mine are the same and in good shape) and maybe LMA's

Got a ECU guy hooking me up for $100 so I can try to get a few hp more

EDIT: Here's a better focused pic of the Intake Camshaft

Post Script....I suck at using my Girlfriend's Mac but at least I focused better this time lol

IMG_2226.jpg

Last edited:
And a new picture of the Red Rocket (Cousin to the Red Dragon with the restrictor plate removed...not what we call street legal so we'll keep that on the down low)

100_0972.jpg

Where did you hear this?
The Exhaust cams are the same but the Intake camshafts are different. The intake on a CTR has 3 degrees more duration and some say has a more aggressive ramp (curvature of the lobes) You cam tell by your picture that the outer ring on the CTR camshaft end also has the protruding lip on top and bottom (in comparison to the ITR camshaft end)

The reason I said this is because I have seen the specs on the camshafts and saw the difference in the numbers (3 degrees) but have read numerous times that they are the same. Admin B also confirmed the 3 degrees in another thread of mine.

Last edited:
The Exhaust cams are the same but the Intake camshafts are different. The intake on a CTR has 3 degreees more lift and some say has a more aggressive ramp (curvature of the lobes) You cam tell by your picture that the outer ring on the CTR camshaft end also has the protruding lip on top and bottom (in comparison to the ITR camshaft end)

The reason I said this is because I have seen the specs on the camshafts and saw the difference in the numbers (3 degrees) but have read numerous times that they are the same. Admin B also confirmed the 3 degrees in another thread of mine.
Lift isn't measured in degrees lol. All the research i've done on these still points to the 00-01 ITR cams and CTR cams still being the same. I'll do some more reading and see what I find because I haven't searched lately. Maybe they found some new info...

Also, the pic i posted has both the CTR and ITR intake cam pictured, the rings look exactly the same to me :shrug2:

oops lol you are right....I meant duration lol

Look at the outer ring not the two engravings. The ITR outer ring is smoother looking while the CTR's have that middle indentation

Post where you got your specs. The only thing I can find is the same info I got before lol. The only things i've read about the CTR cams having 3 degrees more duration on the intake cam is when comparing them to the 99 and earlier ITR cams, not the 00+ ITR cams...

I have been googling the crap out of it and cannot find it anymore. But I do know they are different Honda part numbers for the intake camshafts but the same for the exhaust. I will keep looking. Maybe I have been misinformed :shrug2:

I have been googling the crap out of it and cannot find it anymore. But I do know they are different Honda part numbers for the intake camshafts but the same for the exhaust. I will keep looking. Maybe I have been misinformed :shrug2:
I know the 99 spec ITR's should have a different part number than the 00+ ITR's but how did you locate the part number for CTR's?

I just PM'd a source of mine. maybe he can clarify so we can all stop debating lol...

Last edited by a moderator:
Post where you got your specs. The only thing I can find is the same info I got before lol. The only things i've read about the CTR cams having 3 degrees more duration on the intake cam is when comparing them to the 99 and earlier ITR cams, not the 00+ ITR cams...

you are correct sir..

they may have different part #'s, but the intake cams are the same on the 00+ ITR and the CTR ..

Source? I'm not questioning you, I just want to make sure I got all the correct info...

I have found the part # source a few places but to be honest the validity of it all may be a bunch of bullshit. But I have seen a picture of the actual box with the part number on Ebay when a guy was selling just the intake camshaft. So it is a real part # (........I think lol) and I can't see why they are different but the same. I definitely remember the PCT-000 part of the #

It would be nice to clarify but, when it comes down to it, I don't even really care. I am happy to have found camshafts in general....I would have taken 97 ITR or anything really. But it sounds like I have the more aggressive Type R Intake camshaft in any event.

Maybe they got different part numbers since one wasn't domestically available. :shrug2: Either way, nice find. I hope everything works out for you.

some guy is going to see if he can dig up the actual specs for the cams. So he can clarify all the info that has been floating around :)

Last edited by a moderator:
^^ cool. I'd like to know. If you look at the picture of the CTR/00/01 ITR picture you sent....my intake looks like the bigger picture with the marks that the 2-hands on the left are pointing to but for all I know.....it might also be a ITR thing too.

So...to piggy back off the camshafts/install....I am also reading that Lost Motion Assemblies should be switched to Type R too. But I have read other posts that talk about Honda switching from the hydraulic LMA's to a spring type LMA?? I know the Type R's I've seen are the hydraulic type....and are almost $300 delivered online....I'll be reaching half the price for a 98+spec swap (after selling my current set up) if I keep this up *sigh* lmao

Back