Type R Camshafts (Finally found some!!)

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

You do know that they are a spring type and not a fluid filled type?? Would I still need to soak them? Not that big of a deal though...I can let them soak before I install them.

only hydro need oil, spring type dont. I seriously dont know if they are hydro or spring. Shouldnt spring type have a diffrent part number?

Part I posted a few posts above is for the spring type.

Sadly, I am being all anal and waiting until I have the springs/ keepers/retainers/LMA's/cam seals/valve cover gasket cam plug...blah blah blah before I install the camshafts. Want to put them all in at once. I figure I would just have to take them back out to get to the other parts installed if I put just the camshafts in for now. I am off work for Spring Break at the beginning of April and I think I'll do it then

Does anyone have a good (efficent...non-frustrating) spring compressor tool suggestion? Ones I think will work are the type that attach to the head, slide horzonally from spring to spring and seem pretty nice (but $100). Gonna see if I can rent one......I guess.

Just get a deep jaw C-clamp and weld a couple fingers on it to press the retainers down, and to get at the locks.
I almost threw my compressor accross the yard yesterday..

E

ahh... i thought i remember you saying you had put them in already... guess not.. good move waiting

Just get a deep jaw C-clamp and weld a couple fingers on it to press the retainers down, and to get at the locks.
I almost threw my compressor accross the yard yesterday

I would love to use one (b/c I can borrow one for free) But I am leaving the head on the block and motor in the car when I do it.

List of the parts I just ordered......ouch (roughly $550 delievered)

PLUG, CYLINDER HEAD $5.54 x 1
GASKET SET, HEAD COVER $32.34 x 1
NUT, HEAD COVER $2.08 x 4 (I lost mine and been rolling without them lol)
LOST MOTION ASSY $22.25 x 8
COTTER, VALVE $1.88 x 32
RETAINER, VALVE SPRING $2.78 x 16
SPRING, VALVE (OUTER) (BLUE) (NIPPON HATSUJO) $7.56 x 8
SPRING, IN. VALVE (OUTER) (YELLOW) (NIPPON HATSUJO) $5.15 x 8
SPRING, VALVE (INNER) (BLUE) (NIPPON HATSUJO) $6.62 x 8
SPRING, IN. VALVE (INNER) (YELLOW) (NIPPON HATSUJO) $4.39 x 8
OIL SEAL (29X43X8) (ARAI) $5.27 x 2

Last edited:
Did a little research on GOOGLE.... The P30 (b16, gsr) and P73 (itr & ctr) LMA's have and always been spring & oil functioning. The P30 and P73 are actually the same part, with the exception of the spring inside of them. The P73 has a stronger spring to counteract the higher forces seen in type r applications (higher lift, more revs).

An LMA works similar to the way a suspension coilover works. The spring inside can be equated to a suspension coil spring. The oil function of a LMA works to dampen the system, same how a car's shock absorber works.

I just bought the newer version that is not fluid filled. They are exposed springs (like the valve springs but shaped different). I believe they are exactly like NSX LMA's....but thats based on part numbers and reading online. The Honda parts guy said he new they were a newer replacement part by the PCB in the part number.....me dunno....they were reviewed well by people who installed them and they were cheaper.

Weird. What is the part number for them?

Weird. What is the part number for them?
Part # 14820-PCB-305
I also have read that they are the same as the OBD2 H22 LMA's (exposed spring type) but with the spacer/washer on the bottom to make them the correct height
damn, CTR cams are worth some money! maybe i will get some cams for my engine and sell the old cams.
They are worth some money for sure. About 3-4 weeks ago, I seen a pair of CTR cams and Springs (nothing else) bid out and sell on Ebay for $600 even!! So mine at $320 and NEW springs for $190 ain't too bad in comparison. But I don't think that the camshafts are worth more then $320....in fact I was (when I first started looking) set on not paying over $300 for a pair of used camshafts. After all the search and bull crap, I am just happy to have found a decent set. You can purchase CTR's new form hmotors for $520 + tax/ship

On a different topic.....the Honda place online I bought the parts from is short 4 outer exhaust springs and 2 intake outers so it sounds like I will need to source them elsewhere. Guy gave me a few options in CA and I might end up paying $20+ more b/c the Honda dealerships/part dept will charge more. I'll call him back and figure it out tomorrow.

Last edited:
So the place I order the valve train parts form has everything except 3 outer exhaust springs (and as some of you know are also the GSR outer intake springs so 'not in stock' seems weird)

Found a place in So-Cal that has some springs. Gonna order them Monday, Cost is about $8 more then I was originally paying.

oh and also if you want to keep the head on while changing the valve springs, you need to fill the cyl's with air to keep em in place if you dont, you will drop a valve and dropping a valve sucks!

Yeah I still need to go purchase the fitting (anyone know the size?? If not...I'll figure it out) I want a feeler gauge set that is bent at that 30 degree angle or whatever. Plus the spring compressor kit (I need to find out if I can rent one). Getting new bolt and key for the camshaft connecting to the cam gears. I guess I just tighten them on as much as I can with my hand and ratchet then torque those after I install the cams and put cam caps back on??

This is what I do, you will need a friend.

set cams at TDC and crank pulley. Throw on timing belt and tighten tensioner, Then have a your friend use a breaker bar with a 19mm socket and hold the crank in place so you dont make the engine turn over while you torque down the cam bolts.

I had to buy three outer springs at $9.43 a piece but they honda dealership said FedEx was $15 for three little springs from so-cal to nor-cal......bitch! I tried to work a way....how about an envelope?? But I just gave up ($46 delivered) I want them by at least mid next week. This is what I get for wanting OEM....I guess.

Back