Type R Camshafts (Finally found some!!)

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

I've got Auto Zone axles on my car. Been road racing on them for like 4 years now; no issues.

Yeah...I got the JDM swap ones it came with and I was thinking of re-building them (its easy just greasy time master fresh) but $125 is nice to just swap them out.

No chip ECU. I was suppose to get one but they guy didn't answer when I called him after work (Last Friday). And since the tune aint happening until I can get a weekday off, I'm in no hurry. I know 'some guy' that I can ask about the primary lobe sizes and if they are the same. I think I will check the plugs soon. They are pretty new.

Check that out, im almost sure they are the same profile. Well Now im a bit stumped, I dont know why the idle should be off. Did you change anything?

try adjusting the idle screw on the TB.

I've got Auto Zone axles on my car. Been road racing on them for like 4 years now; no issues.

I usually snap two a year or so. That one is a pic taken from my phone last this weekend lol.

Yeah...I got the JDM swap ones it came with and I was thinking of re-building them (its easy just greasy time master fresh) but $125 is nice to just swap them out.

Ill buy the oem ones from you if you sell em. Just be nice on the price lol.

My girls camera is at work so I took a video of the plugs. They all looked the same with a tiny bit of fresh oil on the washers. White residue on the outside of the elbow and black all around the circumference of the base. These plugs have very low miles (less then 1,000 for sure). The white residue expresses a lean running motor? They all had it on the elbows.

YouTube - Spark Plug low miles.MP4

Put new plugs in and gaped at 0.048. They were the same plug but with an S towards the end. I found out thats "Standard" where the ones without the S are the V-Power ones with the "V" notched out of the electrode. I let it warm up (been sitting all night) got the temp gauge about 1/3 and took it out. Drove easy and let it warm up so the needle was in the middle of the gauge. It was idling low again (600-650rpm) and bouncing a tiny bit like a mis-fire (this is what its been doing). So I drove it some more and got on it in a few gears. Turned around and came back home. It then idled higher (like 750rpm...where I want it). Seemed fine. Got home and then it was idling around 800-900rpm but was surging a tiny bit (1 or 2 bounces no higher then 1200rpm and down to 800rpm) but then idle fine. I tightened the air screw on the TB about 3/8 of a turn and it was fine. Well....we'll see. I still hear a tiny miss (about one every 8-10 seconds). I might be a little picky about it all. But its got new cap/rotor/plugs. No leaks anywhere (except my effed up axles lol).

Last edited:
I think your running lean, just to be on the safe side dont get on it anymore, you just might melt a piston and or detonate the engine all to hell.

The oil looks like its above the threads so it just might be time to change out the grommets on the valve cover.

Idle is good anywhere from 7500 to 1200.

Well not 7500 lol

750 to 1200 Best at 850 to 900 for smog

I have new grommets for the valve cover...come on now...you know I ain't doing anythign half assed lol.

The gap change helped the idle. I know what is a good rpm range, thus my concern for the low idle numbers. I want 750rpm. The white expressses lean running motor and you are right about the danger of it all. Made me curious too. I'll just be easy on it until I can get a tune and ECU

Last edited:
lol wasnt saying that you do things half asses, i will sometimes re use grommets if they are fresh.

HA motorsports (hondaswap vendor) has socketed ecus for 150

HA Motorsports Socketed and Chipped OBD1 P28 VTEC ECU

not bad unless you can find it cheaper.

I think you will be ok if you run it easy. Can you take large good quality pics? would make things a hell of a lot easier.

Dyno tune may be pushed forward a little now. I just bought a used OEM JDM 98+spec ITR header. Gonna go extra stealth/sleeper with a heat shield....I seen it on a DB8 and it looks slick....now I have to figure out a 2.5" Cat to work out (which is kind of involved with CA smog crap). And I might just get new exhaust. was thinking Apexi WS2 cat back 60mm but it looks kinda ugly at the tip/muffler. Its sits pretty low and sticks out. Gonna look into RSR too. I want it quiet and want mandrel bent (which its hard to find mandrel benders around my area).

Think I'll re-build my axles now that I just spent $180 + my old Del Sol wheels. Plus the new cat will run me $200......eff lol

Last edited:
Keeping my exhaust....got a car sound cat and the OEM shields. Axles and ECU afterwards then I'll head to the bay area for a tune.

Just an Update......no dyno tune yet.....sigh

Our tub/shower was hammered (protective coating on the fiberglass was shot) So I had to rip it out..and the toilet and more drywall. get a new acrylic tub...which didn't fit (effing studs are far from plumb, level and anything in-between) So I had to sand a few studs down to get it to fit. Did get a nice hook up on a plumber to change the valve from a 3-handle to a single handle valve ($100) Then I patched the drywall with new stuff....and then the hardibacker to the ceiling......and then we started tiling. Almost done and its only been 9 days without a shower to use lmao. Today is day 5 of tiling and we should finish it. But then there's the grout and the sealant. Oops...then the new shower door (which means more money on a drill bit lol)

And I go back to teaching in less than 2 weeks.......hell where did my summer vacation go???

How long did you run aggressive cams on the b16 lma's? There's a reason Honda gave the ITR much beefier lma's. Most n/a built honda's I've came across made lots of valve noise - likely due to worn lma's.

Just because it got bumped, and this is related to this, I ran CTR cams on a completely stock B16A head for close to 7 years, revving the piss out of it, and not once in a while either ;)

Just because it got bumped, and this is related to this, I ran CTR cams on a completely stock B16A head for close to 7 years, revving the piss out of it, and not once in a while either ;)
Did you use stock ecu or custom maps with the ctr cams on your b16 ?

Bringing up a past topic on the lma. I just got a B16 head think its from a 99-00 Si. It has the newer spring style lma. Did they change this in the 99-00 B16? I take it that these are an upgrade from the older hydro lma??

No I dont think those are the original LMA's. I believe those were put in there by a previous owner. If it has a removable washer/spacer on the bottom.....they are probably Prelude. Mine are the new ones for B-series and the old ones for NSX's

Back