type r head

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Status
Not open for further replies.

breed

how can you tell if a head is really a type r? does it have any specific markings or features on it? i have a 98 dohc head and it's stamped with pr3-3 and my brother has a 99 type r and his head is stamped with pr3-4, would my head be jdm? or is it not type r.

96-98 = obd2a
99-up = obd2b

that might account for the 3 / 4 difference.

Originally posted by civicious@Mar 24 2005, 10:33 AM
96-98 = obd2a
99-up = obd2b

that might account for the 3 / 4 difference.
[post=477967]Quoted post[/post]​

doubtful. the castings have little to do with the electronics of a motor :D

Check the valve springs... if you have dual valve springs its more than likely an ITR head. If not, its a B16 head...

the -3 and -4 are the location were it was manufactured. 3 should be japan, I think 4 is europe.

Also, they are marked with some green paint or something. Look to the left rear section of the head between the distributor bracket and the valve cover. There should be a green mark located there. I've heard this is the mark that the factory uses when they choose which b16 castings will be built to type R specs.

Originally posted by hybrid89@Mar 24 2005, 06:12 PM
the -3 and -4 are the location were it was manufactured. 3 should be japan, I think 4 is europe.
[post=478019]Quoted post[/post]​

Not really, my B16A is PR3-4 my friends B18C6 is a PR3-3, both made in Europe, well at least for Europe.

In all my lookings into the PR3-X, it has been decided by myself and a few others that there is no real corellation(sp) between the head and the markings, as I have seen both ITR, and B16A with the same stamps.

Look for dual exhaust springs, the green marking around the distributor, and the rings at the end of the cams.

ok, it has a full crower valve train and it did not came with cams. how do i know if its a type r

If it has a Crower valvetrain, and didn't come with cams, who cares if it's a Type R head?

thats becaus a type r head is a b16 head that is port and polished, also has lighter valves, better valve train, dif rocker arm assembly, and of course the cams are agressive, and a better IM

Originally posted by hammerdgolfer@Mar 26 2005, 09:20 PM
thats becaus a type r head is a b16 head that is port and polished, also has lighter valves, better valve train, dif rocker arm assembly, and of course the cams are agressive, and a better IM
[post=479169]Quoted post[/post]​

The type R head has different intake and exhaust ports? I always thought the castings were the same, just the valvetrain was different.

Originally posted by rcoolb2002@Mar 28 2005, 07:53 AM

The type R head has different intake and exhaust ports? I always thought the castings were the same, just the valvetrain was different.
[post=479785]Quoted post[/post]​

The casting is the same, the head is then hand ported.

Originally posted by rcoolb2002+Mar 28 2005, 04:53 PM-->
hammerdgolfer
@Mar 26 2005, 09:20 PM
[post=479169]Quoted post[/post]​

[post=479785]Quoted post[/post]​

It is the same, it is lightly polished, not ported.

OK, no more of the "I heard" crap, either you know or you don't. Don't post conjecture or hearsay guys, that is where misinformation comes from.

It is ported 25mm into the ports, not a huge deal IMO. The rockers are the same but the LMAs are different on ITRs.

okay well all i wanna know is if you can tell by any markings on the head if it's a type r cast or a b16. i dont really care about the internals because there aftermarket anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back