type r internals

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Wilshire

Big WIll
i was going to buy some type r valves, valve springs and retainers off of a friend. That was until a mechanic told me that the tpye r valves are exactly the same as the ones in my b16. he said that the valve springs are the same too. I find this hard to believe because the itr revs to nine while my b16 only to 8 grand. also i am buying some skunk2 stage 2 cams, so should i just buy skunk retainers and dual springs instead of the type r valvetrain???

also i was looking to buy his itr tb and intake manifold, how much better would this flow than my stock ones???

thanks for any help.

get a new mechanic.. ..

you want to buy the parts that go with the cams.. so if you get skunk2 cams.. get skunk2 valve springs, retainers

the itr mani and TB flow much better.. but you'll only see significant gains if the head is ported to match the runners on the mani.. same goes with the TB and mani.. get them port matched

if the tb and mani are both stock type r parts they should already be port matched right???

thanks for the advice ill definitly port match the head and get all skunk 2 valvetrain components

Your mechanic is stupid. The Type r valves are lighter for one thing. Honda eliminated weight from the stem of the valve which makes it lighter and flow better then the b16 valves. Also the type r springs are different. If you ever have taken apart a b16 head you will note there is only dual valve springs on the intake side. On the type r head they have dual valves springs on the exhaust and intake sides. I would probably keep the valves you have and have a valve job done along with some aftermarket cams, springs, and retainers if you are looking for more power. I wouldnt trust type r springs and retainers with the stage 2 cams. On valve train components I like to get everything from the same manufactuer.

Back