type r trans

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

slapi01

getting a type r tranny to bolt to my gsr and was wondering if anyone else is running setup. going all motor and only thing left is bottom end. how does the lsd help on launches at the track. any improvements? tahnks guys

I had it on my gsr motor. it was awesome. make sure you get the 98+ spec tranny though. better final drive and better 4th and 5th gear ratios (the newer 98+ has a 4.75 final and short gear ratios for 4 and 5 and the 96-97 has a 4.4 final drive with the same 4 and 5 as the gsr). The older tranny is good if you want fuel economy but if you want great acceleration, go for the newer. the lsd will greatly improve your launches too. instead of doing the standard honda 1 wheel burn out, you can get both wheels to spin. And when launching, both wheels will equally grip the track and give you better 60 ft times. It will also help in the twisties. When one wheel starts to slip the lsd transfers power to the wheel that is gripping in order to regain traction on the slipping wheel. Also, with a itr tranny on my gsr I was able to hit 150 mph in 5th with about 3k rpms left (and that was on a stock motor). So do it and enjoy. You will have an advantage over most other gsr's (even if they are slightly more modded than you).
jon
ps, if you want any more info, my email is z24_ImportKiller@yahoo.com (sorry, used to be a huge chevy guy until i got my dc2 but haven't gotten around to changing my email yet.)

Originally posted by 96IntegGSR@Jun 5 2004, 01:48 AM
make sure you get the 98+ spec tranny though. better final drive and better 4th and 5th gear ratios (the newer 98+ has a 4.75 final and short gear ratios for 4 and 5 and the 96-97 has a 4.4 final drive with the same 4 and 5 as the gsr). The older tranny is good if you want fuel economy but if you want great acceleration, go for the newer.

Um, both accelrate wel, and the milage per gallons isn't going to be different enough. And only the Japanese versions had the 4.785 final drive, the US ones had the 4.400.

i have a b16 im buildin up hardcore... are the itr trannys any good for turbo? and how much shuld i be lookin at for a jdm itr tranny 98+?? thanks
Tyler

Originally posted by CRseX84@Jun 5 2004, 11:20 PM
i have a b16 im buildin up hardcore... are the itr trannys any good for turbo? and how much shuld i be lookin at for a jdm itr tranny 98+?? thanks
Tyler

t_new.gif

Back