Type R vs. LS

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

I was wondering what transmission would be better off with a boosted CRVTEC motor...a Type R or an LS with a GSR final drive in it...My local tuning shop said the ls with gsr final drive....What would be the advantages, and disadvantages with both set ups.

Matt

Your shop is stupid. If anything, I'd go with an ITR tranny with an LS 5th gear in it...

I think Adam or lsvtec did a writeup on this...not sure which one of them it was though.

LS with a GSR final drive? WTF? I'd suggest finding a new shop.

boosted, allmotor, electric-powered, or any other method- the shorter the tranny, the quicker acceleration.

but, there comes a time when street-drivability comes in to play, as well as traction.

IMO, the best all around tranny for a street turbo car is a gsr w/ a quaiffe LSD installed.

the best tranny for a track-only car is an itr or b16 with a quaiffe lsd.

the only time i would recommend the LS tranny to anyone would be if they wanted to do 180+ mph on the street- and thats just stupid.

tire size comes into play a lot too. thats why drag cars running 28" tall slicks (as oppoped to the 22.x of the average 205/50/15) can still run the tight tranny of a b16/itr and still hit 160-170mph

Ok I thought about the GSR with a quaife LSD too...I think i made my mind up on getting an ITR tranny...Where would be the best place to get one from..most places i call they want the whole swap.

Thanks for your help guys

i did put an LS fifth gear into my ITR tranny, my webpage has some pictures on it....

https://hondaswap.com/~pills/lsvtec.html

scroll down... i never did do the write up though, but the pictures show it.. and if you've never torn down and did a trans i wouldn't recommend doing it your self the first time... get someone that has experience to work with you.

my boy bought an itr tranny and put a ls 5th gear in it and it made a difference on his gas mileage on the highway that is the only thing you need to do get the itr tranny put in the ls 5th and you are good to go

hit up 5400RPM on ebay...I've bought an ITR and a CTR tranny from him in the past few years, he's a good guy.

:)

Yeah Your Shop is retarded to put a GSR Final Gear in an LS!! That is dum you could save some time and Just put either a GSR Tranny or a Type R and your gonna haul more ass than an LS unless your looking at going 160+!!!!!!!!!

LS 5th gear = weaksauce. Get a USDM ITR tranny and be done with it....I mean, even on an 00 Si tranny (same gearing as ITR) and 195/50/15 tires, my GSR is taching 5k RPMs @ 85 MPH, and I still get 36 or so MPG. The LS 5th gear swap is a waste of time opening a tranny for a bit less RPMs.....what happens on track when you go to 5th gear on the back strait and the car doesn't really pull anymore?

Originally posted by erebunicrx@Feb 4 2005, 02:49 PM
why would someone want this?
[post=456523]Quoted post[/post]​

Same people that ask about putting an LS head on a B16 block. More than likely they put an LS 5th gear into a GSR tranny, and have an 5th-less LS tranny and a GSR 5th gear (Or something to that effect) and are tryin' to make some cash off of some idiot.

That's probably the same deal with your shop that advised you to do that. They recently put an LS 5th into a GSR tranny, and are trying to unload (sell) the leftovers.

type r tranny all the way bro...
even a b16a cable to hydro conv.
not no f**ked up ls :blink:

i hate shops like that :angry:

Back