Typer R In A 98 Hatch

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

skylineboy

I just want to know if it's a good idea to swap a type r in a 98 civic hatch. Is it worth it? Thanks.

worth it as far as terms of power/money invested? ..... yeah i'd have to say so ls/turbo i think wins as far as that is concerned.

depending on the model of civic (if it already has VTEC) it can be a complete drop in swap.... if you are looking to go NA it is the engine to go with

Hell ya,why not?Easy and potent.If you can afford it do it.

why not go with a jdm B18C and put some skunk 2 stage 2 cams in it. That would be cheaper, and make about the same horsepower. Unless you wanted the type-r engine for bragging rights. anyone see a downside to this route? some of those engines even have lsd w/ them. plus you get the higher gear ratio for highway. Any other thoughts?

skunk2 cams are like 700 bucks. if you got the gsr engine, got the optional lsd, and put the skunk 2 cams in, which would require new valve springs and dyno time, you'd be over the price of the itr.

Originally posted by SixtySecondAssassin@Jan 13 2003, 06:47 PM
skunk2 cams are like 700 bucks. if you got the gsr engine, got the optional lsd, and put the skunk 2 cams in, which would require new valve springs and dyno time, you'd be over the price of the itr.

Yep,most people don't have the time or experiance to pull it apart themselves so lets tack on a little more for labor also

with the type R, your paying mostly for the high compression pistons, more agressive cams, PnP head, and the tranny. The tranny is great for accleration and is wonderful for autoX and road course. If you want to stick NA, it is a great engine that is great form the start and even better if you ever decide to do more to it.

they ITR motor is a great motor... its worth the money to go NA in

Back