U.S. Trade Deficit Soars To All-Time High Of...

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

94RedSiGal

So who on HondaSwap still thinks that Bush and his conservatives are doing a good job running our country? :angry:

U.S. Trade Deficit Soars To All-Time High Of $60.3 Billion In November

WASHINGTON -- America's trade deficit soared to an all-time high of $60.3 billion in November, reflecting record levels for imports of everything from oil and consumer goods to farm products, the government reported Wednesday.

The Commerce Department said the November deficit was up 7.7 percent from an imbalance of $56 billion in October, which had been the previous monthly record. The new record caught private economists by surprise. They had been forecasting a slight narrowing in the November trade gap.

The trade deficit through November totaled $561.3 billion, far above the previous annual record of $496.5 billion set in 2003, and put the country on track to record a trade imbalance topping $600 billion when the December figures are added.

The November deficit reflected record imbalances with a number of countries including Canada, South Korea and Russia. The largest deficit as usual was with China, although the $16.6 billion gap was down slightly from October.

Critics point to the yawning deficits as evidence that President Bush's trade policies are not working. Democrats contend that the administration has not done enough to protect American workers from unfair competition from low-wage foreign countries such as China.

The administration counters that the trade gap is primarily a reflection of a U.S. economy that has been growing faster than most of the rest of the world.

Private economists are concerned, nevertheless, about whether America will have the ability to continue finance trade deficits at such high levels.

If foreigners suddenly decide that they do not want to hold dollars in payment for the foreign goods that American consumers love to purchase, it could put added downward pressure on the American currency, which has been declining in value against a number of other currencies for the past three years.

The administration insists it still favors a strong dollar policy although it has done nothing to slow the greenback's decline, a drop that economists believe eventually will help to narrow the trade gap by making U.S. products cheaper on overseas markets and imports more expensive in the United States.

U.S. exports, which had been rising for much of the year, suffered a setback in November, falling 2.3 percent to $66.5 billion. It was the first decline in five months and reflected a drop in shipments of U.S. autos and auto parts, civilian aircraft, telecommunications equipment and industrial machinery.

Overseas sales of American farm products, for years a star performer among American exports, slipped by 1.7 percent to $4.7 billion with shipments of fruit, soybeans and vegetables all showing declines. The country is on track to record a deficit in farm goods this year as imports are running above exports through November, reflecting a surge in consumer demand for foreign wines, fruits and other foods.

Imports in November rose 1.3 percent to an all-time high of $155.8 billion. This increase was led by an 11.8 percent jump in petroleum products, which hit a monthly record of $19.4 billion.

The increase in America's foreign oil bill reflected higher volume. The average price of crude oil dipped a bit to $41.15 per barrel, compared to $41.79 in October.

With individual countries, the deficit with Canada, America's largest trading partner, hit a record high of $7.3 billion. The deficit with South Korea rose to a record $2.3 billion while the deficit with Russia increased to $1.3 billion. The deficit with Japan rose to $7.3 billion, which was the highest level since October 2000. (AP)

The administration counters that the trade gap is primarily a reflection of a U.S. economy that has been growing faster than most of the rest of the world.

what are they smoking?

I have this attitude in life.

Losers whine about problems.

Winners keep their trap shut unless they plan on changing it.

I don't feel that I'm whining. I'm just pissed because the Bush administration insisted before the elections that everything was basically hunky-dory with our economy, job creations etc... I am tired of their lies.

In terms of doing something about it, well I live in a blue state and I voted for Kerry. I guess that I should move to a red state for the next election and vote from there. <_<

Wow, what Have I been saying since 2000????

Oh yeah thats right, that BUSH WILL FUCK US ALL REALLY HARD!!!! I was 14 in 2000 and even at that young age I could tell that we were in for a good old political ass raping.

He and his administration care more about forcing their values on other people (be it religious or idiological or political, in America or elsewhere in the world) than on taking care of the people they should be protecting. He has done nothing but damage our economy and lessen my faith in my fellow persons. He is by far the WORST thing to hit this country in the last 4 years and YES that includes 2 Boeing 737's.

Do any of you honestly know what a trade deficit is? The United States will always have a deficit when it looks at its exports as we have higher paying jobs than anywhere else in the world. Our manufacturing business will never be able to top Asia or any third world country as there are more people in those countries willing to work for less. The US has always, always lacked when it comes to exports - why do you think all Japanese car companies have moved some of their plants to the US - 1 to help our economy, and two, US citizens love the build quality of Japanese automobiles, however, back in the late 80's a huge campaign was set into place to "BUY AMERICAN"

In the long run, it just costs American Companies to much money to produce & manufacture goods as compared to Asia & Other third world countries...

Originally posted by 94RedSiGal+Jan 13 2005, 02:23 AM-->
I don't feel that I'm whining. I'm just pissed because the Bush administration insisted before the elections that everything was basically hunky-dory with our economy, job creations etc... I am tired of their lies.

In terms of doing something about it, well I live in a blue state and I voted for Kerry. I guess that I should move to a red state for the next election and vote from there. <_<
[post=444977]Quoted post[/post]​
kerry would not have done jack- and as for trade deficit here is one good reason from si steve - we import a hell of alot more than we export blame our people who buy outsourced products - thats why your parents will tell you buy american! - my honda might be a japanese car but it was assembled in the good old usa - keep our money with in our own coutry and this will shrink - when will this happen - never - dont blame bush kerry would have the same situation and theres not any way to control it - national deficit on the other hand is some thing to look @ yes with the bush administration it has grown but thats what happens when these muslim nations gets hit with a tsunami!- we the usa give them 350 mil- japan chips in 500 mil- and god knows how much more with what other countries have in their - well over 2 billion by now - besides the 350 mil , from what i hear were helping average 6 million more a day- yay- but to the rest of the world we are cheap- what i got to tell the rest of the world is fu%k off no other country in history has given more to other countries than the usa - proving we are the richest best country in the world - if we were some greedy pig country we would be rich as hell and a hell of alot of countries would still be 3rd world while we continued to grow - but please remember - this is all imo!!!!!

sisteve
@Jan 13 2005, 08:06 AM
Do any of you honestly know what a trade deficit is? The United States will always have a deficit when it looks at its exports as we have higher paying jobs than anywhere else in the world. Our manufacturing business will never be able to top Asia or any third world country as there are more people in those countries willing to work for less. The US has always, always lacked when it comes to exports - why do you think all Japanese car companies have moved some of their plants to the US - 1 to help our economy, and two, US citizens love the build quality of Japanese automobiles, however, back in the late 80's a huge campaign was set into place to "BUY AMERICAN"

In the long run, it just costs American Companies to much money to produce & manufacture goods as compared to Asia & Other third world countries...
[post=445048]Quoted post[/post]​

thanks steve could not have put it better my self!

Originally posted by Slammed89Integra+Jan 13 2005, 12:23 AM-->
I have this attitude in life.

Losers whine about problems.

Winners keep their trap shut unless they plan on changing it.
[post=444943]Quoted post[/post]​

Stupidest thing i have ever heard.................

94RedSiGal
@Jan 13 2005, 01:23 AM

[post=444977]Quoted post[/post]​

I totaly agree with you 94RedSiGal......THis administration is definitly up there with the worst in US history. Everything he says is a lie, from the status on the economy, to the war.

Yeah, i admit i was for the war 100%....When the President of the United States says that Hussain is an immediate threat the the US and has factories producing weapons of mass destruction.......You tend to believe that you have to go in there and stop him....but...we learned this was a lie....And also Hussain was no threat to the US and had no involvement in 9/11...Which Colon Powell has clearly stated...The Whole Iraq war was a mission to get revenge for Desert Storm....

Originally posted by sisteve@Jan 13 2005, 07:06 AM

[post=445048]Quoted post[/post]​

I sort of agree with you here. It is cheaper for these companies to produce their goods in other countries. We honestly have almost no one but ourselves to blame for such a trade deficit. We blindly buy foreign produced goods over American goods based on price, seemingly oblivious to the harm that we are causing to ourselves.
Of course, I dont put total blame on the people, the Bush administration has been facilitating these trade deficits, by their inaction. I would honestly like to see companies that produce (in all aspects) US made goods given special tax inscentives or perhaps something of a protective tarriff placed on foreign produced goods that alllow US goods to be competitive. But the self serving Bush administration realizes that their benefactors are making copious amounts of cash on exporting their labor so they do what they can to maintain the status quo.
Truthfully I'd like if the government could stay out of protective tarriffs. I would like for Americans to be able to see the greater good in supporting American made goods. The problem is that we are short sighted and unable to put the good of society before our own personal good. If we as Americans were simply to support American made goods the trade deficit would shrink, which would make way for more jobs in the manufacturing ans service sector. Of course none of this is feasable, given our current socio-political climate.

One question, do you have any idea what you're talking about in terms of politics and know all the surrounding circumstances?

I believe the answer here is a ressounding 'no' save for the one person who explained why in current times there would be such a trade deficit. Notice the thread title of 'soars to an all time high', *NOT* "for the first time ever...."

Until each and everyone of you wants to give up their living standards and work for far less than minimum wage then thats the way the economy is going to be. Hell China's living standards are up too high to be competitive and now most of the work and production is occuring in Thailand where its cheaper.

Outsourcing is the term of the millenium and production of goods in the United States are at an all time low.

Yet, those of you crying are probably the same ones crying that big business got a tax cut from the Bush administration. Business in the United States simply cannot compete with businesses in other countries but some of you want to have your cake and eat it too. With an administration that favors big business, it could have only looked down had an administration that did not favor big business been in office. Those who voted democrat will still scream like banshees and want as I said before their cake and to eat it too.

Understand that the world isn't perfect and that you can't always get what you want. Whine on.

I sort of agree with you here. It is cheaper for these companies to produce their goods in other countries. We honestly have almost no one but ourselves to blame for such a trade deficit. We blindly buy foreign produced goods over American goods based on price, seemingly oblivious to the harm that we are causing to ourselves.
Of course, I dont put total blame on the people, the Bush administration has been facilitating these trade deficits, by their inaction. I would honestly like to see companies that produce (in all aspects) US made goods given special tax inscentives or perhaps something of a protective tarriff placed on foreign produced goods that alllow US goods to be competitive. But the self serving Bush administration realizes that their benefactors are making copious amounts of cash on exporting their labor so they do what they can to maintain the status quo.
Truthfully I'd like if the government could stay out of protective tarriffs. I would like for Americans to be able to see the greater good in supporting American made goods. The problem is that we are short sighted and unable to put the good of society before our own personal good. If we as Americans were simply to support American made goods the trade deficit would shrink, which would make way for more jobs in the manufacturing ans service sector. Of course none of this is feasable, given our current socio-political climate.
[post=445380]Quoted post[/post]​

Well stated. Basically with the same view that want their cake and to eat it too.

Although I believe that if protective tariffs were ever put in place, the people complaining here would be the same people complaining that they weren't getting the bargain they once were and the government was stepping on too many economic toes.

...some people just like to bitch.

Originally posted by Blanco@Jan 14 2005, 02:25 AM
You are so damned annoying.

I'd like to see American companies get off of their lazy asses and actually produce quality products again.
[post=445497]Quoted post[/post]​

Give them the money or stfu.

They simply can't compete. If they could, they would. Ford was outsold for the first time last year by an import.

Flush yourself.

Originally posted by Blanco@Jan 14 2005, 02:34 AM
I buy quality products. Not products that I'll have to rebuy every few months. If it was American made, fucking great. If not, guess they need to stop worrying about making $25 an hour and start worrying about building a quality product.

And you're still annoying.
[post=445502]Quoted post[/post]​

Not feaseable. The americans really arent making a killing on their product, infact their profit margins are smaller than other countries just to compete.

Just in car companies, they're trying to compete coming out with these new segments of cars and such but a foreign country could build a better quality car for so much cheaper.

Its either you bitch and moan just like SiGal or support American companies.

'Can't have your cake and eat it to.'

I may be annoying but you're unrealistic and get pissy about your unrealisticness*

Can i borrow that gragon after you're done. I hate washing dishes

That aside, whether or not we are lazy depends on what you define as lazy. True were mostly a bunch of fattys who never do anything remotly physical, but on the other hand our work week has been significantly increased over the years. We are working more hours with less pay, especially after the dept of labor amended the flsa overtime regulations. I was reading in the local paper that relative to other industrealized nations, our work week is amongst the longest and our vacation time is amongst the shortest. Though i won't disagree that most of the workers I've been around have issues stemming from a lack of work ethic.
Quality isnt really a problem with American products i try and buy (cars are what a lot of people think of, but i know ford has plants in both mexico and canada, so technically thats kind of not American (and by american i mean produced in the US)). And while when buying a nissan some profit goes back to japan, they still pay a good number of US laborers and that is who i am most interested in supporting. Bus basically when given a choice, I'll usually try and buy the American counterpart of a product, and I'll always try and buy locally as opposed to buying from a national chain, even if it costs a bit more. I honestly think if more Americans took that attitude We would be in a better situation.

Originally posted by Blanco@Jan 14 2005, 02:49 AM
It's quite a well known fact that Americans are some of the laziest people on this planet. But, of course, that doesn't have anything to do it. I guess it is unrealistic to expect Americans to have the same work ethic as Asians. In which case, it's unrealistic to expect American companies to ever be competitive again. It's unrealistic to expect Americans to take pride in anything other than the size of their paychecks, SUVs, and houses. So yes, I'm highly unrealistic. I'm going to go put on my robe and wizard hat now, so I can conjure up a dragon to wash my dishes.
[post=445507]Quoted post[/post]​

If the foreign workers actually had the same living standards that the United States had, I'm sure that their work ethic would decrease as well. I'm not sticking up for the typical lazy fat shit American, I'm just saying that if others were in the same boat I dont see the picture changing.

Hell as I said above, the Chinese standard of living has went up and now the workers are turning their noses up at jobs that they wouldn't have before, so now most of the labor moved to Thailand.

Back