Ubuntu

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

TurboRex90

Golden EG
Anyone running ubuntu? My computer got a nasty virus so i installed Ubuntu to run other AV software since the virus are having a field day bypassing my Norton 360 3.0. I found 10 virus after 3 hours of a full scan with ClamAV on Ubuntu and removed the infected files. My windows OS is still having the issue.

Im having a love/hate relationship with ubuntu, and a hard time gettin used to it.. Anyone have any experience with it, in case of future tech support?

As for the virus, its a faulty AV software called AV scan suit or something. My windows security pops up saying im infected and then a i get 60 thousand alerts saying this .exe couldnt run do to infection, register AV suite now. I cant do much cuz it usually blocks most programs from doing anything.

Im on the verge of just wiping my computer then again, i dont have back up installs of most of my programs nor the CD's... and it'll be the 4th restart ive had to due. Previous reasons were done by microsoft for virus's affection hardware etc. Ughhh.

dont have any input on Ubuntu

but as for the actual issue... you dont have a "virus" you have "malware"... unfortunately most AV software is useless in defending against or removing malware... you need more specified software for that

download rKill from here : RKill - What it does and What it Doesn't - A brief introduction to the program
(there are 5 formats for it... i use the com file and it has so far worked great)

also go here and download MBAM (Malwarbytes Anti Malware) Malwarebytes Anti-Malware - Reviews and free Malwarebytes Anti-Malware downloads at Download.com

save both to a thumb drive
log onto your infected computer
you can try going in in safe mode... or regularly... it is up to you
first run rKill... keep running rKill untill the only thing that shows up stopped in the log is rKill
then install and update MBAM and run a full scan... how long it will take depends on how much shit you have on your drive and how fast your computer is... expect it to take an hour or more
when MBAM is finished it will show you all the shit it found and you then click to remove it... it will pop up a log file, you can just close that... it will require a reboot of your PC to remove everything... do that
(if you did the scan in safe mode, you will now be logging in to regular mode)
the log on will take longer than usual... this is normal... MBAM is doing the removal before everything else loads...

it is generally a good idea to run the scan again to make sure that everything has been removed
put a copy of rKill in an easily accessible area for future use (desktop or put a link in your start menu or quick launch)
updates generally come out for MBAM every day
you should make it a habit to update and run MBAM at least once a week or so

***some malware is intelligent enough to know that MBAM is going to kill it and blocks the install or exe from running... if you run into this, then post back here and ill give you some more help

My brothers netbook was infected with the same kind of stuff. What E outlined was exactly how I got it removed.

Alright i'll try that, i know that its smart enough to block Microsoft Security Essentials from properly installing, as well as allow me to access certain functions i.e Command prompt, control panel etc. It really wants to make sure i cant remove it. Will a CD work if a cant use a Thumb drive? Its how i installed Ubuntu on the infected computer.

Edit: Can i install those programs on Ubuntu and scan the infected OS from my current one? I know when i ran ClamAV it allowed me to mount to my Windows Directory and scan it. Maybe i can use the same process?

Update: I stumbled across a site that tells me how to remove the exact malware i have AV security Suite using MalwareBytes, i found it by searching how to run Rkill using Ubuntu.. what a coincidence. Apparently it takes abotu 20min and removes the issue. Ill check back soon enough.

Update again: Entered safe mode, ran Hijackthis.exe and installed Malwarebytes. Scan completed with found infections, and i removed infections. Going to do a system restart and a rescan once more. Will post up results.

Results: SUCCESS!! Maybe i should post a thread for anyone who is having encounters with AV security Suite, with a how to from the forum i found? Worked like a charm.

Last edited:
I've been running Kubuntu since '06, I find if far easier to get to know than ubuntu

Back