ubuntu

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

invisibledemon

Bored
VIP
so, i have been wanting to try ubuntu for a while now.
finally got my hands on a computer that was worthless and needed formatting and whatnot so i figured now is the time to try it.

Problem is, the cd drive wont work now. it opens and closes, but i have no way of opening the file.
in the menu under drives i get the hard drive and floppy (which is completely disconnected on the computer) but no cd or usb either.

trying to get my usb wireless installed which according to the ubuntu site should be compatible.

anybody have any ideas?

here :)

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation

although i must stay, i HIGHLY recommend a machine with at least 256mb ram and 1ghz amd or intel processor. this will get it moving but it will be pretty slow. For a good experience, the minimum is amd athlon (socket a) 1.4ghz or Pentium 4 1.8ghz with 512mb ram and with DirectX9 nvidia card.

if you cant meet these, try liter verisons like xubuntu

thanks, but i have looked through that site.
i already have it installed. its running and and i used the cd drive to so the install.
now after install is complete, the comp runs and everything, the cd drive will open and shut and you can hear it spinning the cd but i cant access the cd. for example a music or picture cd, not the installation disk.

oh my bad. it sounds like a device conflict.

take a look and see if the jumpers are set correctly and if the devices are connected correctly.

then i would look into bios. reset it to default and go in and turn off stuff you dont need, particulary anything to do with the floppy disk.

if everything is set correctly, it should read hdd as master 0 and cd rom master 1, if you have only one of each.

Back