UFC 81 this saturday...Mir/Lesnar

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

99% of all martial artists, especially the "you don't understand the true art" people, get owned in fights and are generally regarded as nerds looking for respect via martial arts

Heh, which is exactly why I was lucky in that I had friends who got me started in MMA when i was 16.

I have been on the winning end of many fights involving these "form over function" traditionalists. They are flabbergasted by jabs to the head, thai kicks, thai clinch work, and hooks.

This is exactly why westley snipes would not fight joe rogan. What works in Blade III against Vampires trying to control the world does not work in real life.

Just for the record, I was impressed with Lesnar's raw physical domination of Mir. IF Lesnar becomes less noobish and learns proper jits, and gets a few more fights under his belt, the heavyweight division is in trouble.

LOL those fighters aren't legitimate pro-MMA fighters.

One is an out of shape ex-football player, the other has some fight experience. Fight Quest also has two out of shape scrubs.

I really do love when the ex-football player talks about how he's going to take this fight because he's stronger or this or that, when he's in average shape at this point in his life. I could see if they found a jacked up football player that had explosive speed and power - even a smaller guy like Reggie Bush - but they pick this out of shape lug head.

Fight Quest - those two guys are just jokeshows. I think most 9th graders would hand their ass to them.

These shows prove nothing at best, because the fighters are taught a few specific moves, practice them for a few days, and then fight people that have been practicing these moves forever. This is an entirely different and watered down concept from putting one of the "expert" martial artists in the ring against a MMA fighter that has a whole arsenal of methods of attacks.

Next they're going to teach these guys a few jabs, crosses, and hooks and then throw them in a ring with boxers.

***Before I edited this post, I just had to laugh at the commentary by Frank Mir on one of the WEC Wreckage events where he said, "WEC rules don't allow for blows to the top of the spinal column, its too dangerous, a few shots to the back of the head are okay and you get a warning, but after that we're going to protect the fighters." He made this comment after Herb Dean warned Tiki three times for blows to the back of the head, stood him up and said "this is a "strong warning", next time I'm going to deduct a point."

Last edited:
werd

I've seen great martial artists who are terrible fighters

martial artists have been having their asses handed to them on a regular basis since the Chinese empire. The more things change the more they stay the same. I fought a second degree black belt who never touched me. Tackle, full mount, fists and elbows

game set match, he could practice horse stance for another decade and I'd still wipe my ass with him

Its called mixed martial arts clearly because its a pick of various art forms because they all have their lackings. Yet most people who are martial artists, train in strictly one art form throughout the course of an entire lifetime, when these fighters are the ones that are truly one dimensional.

Also I would love to see your martial artists that could keep a true athlete from closing the distance in an attack. What did we see Lesnar do to Mir? ...and by your standards, Lesnar is just some hag without any talent. He seemed to close the distance, take down, and pound on a guy who has been training in martial arts since I think he was 12 or so? and he was a wrestler prior to his transition to JJ.

There is not a doubt in my mind, that 9 out of 10 guys on the street, that are of similar size/weight to you and are in better shape than you, would hand you your ass.

Technique can overcome power in certain circumstances, like we saw here, but that was after a ref saved Mir from having his head smashed into tiny pieces. Nature would have taken its course if those two guys happened to fight outside of the cage. Very few art forms are actually applicable in real life situations and JJ and the Gracie's adaptation happen to be two art forms that are worthwhile at offsetting the balancing of size/strength.

Blanco: "well those other artists fell short cause they weren't doing it right, not like I do it."

you sound like a baptist minister, the only difference is u say martial art instead of religion

snatch the pebble from my hand grasshopper, then continue jerking off to re runs of King Fu as you imagine David Carradine beating Quinton "Rampage" Jackson (who also started in wrestling) with a crane kick as Miagi cheers him on and "No Retreat No Surrender" plays in the background.

kinda takes you back huh?

you martial art purists are all the same

I'm too lazy/tired to do the multi quote thing so...

Total - 1) back pedaling and admitting you were slightly wrong are two different things... OK OK, he didn't get hit THREE times, he got hit TWICE in the back of the head... oh shit, there goes that back pedaling again... :rollseyes: ... what you are doing IS back pedaling... This shit went from 'Lesnar is the greatest he will win' to 'he lost because blah blah blah' to 'he won most of the fight blah blah blah'... ect...

2) naysayers???!!! not one person has ever said Lesnar can't become great. Just because mostly everyone said he was gonna lose doesn't mean we think he sucks... Just that he wasn't ready for more of a rounded fighter like Mir... Just read what people are actually saying and not what you 'think' they are saying...

So now you've quoted things that I've always openly said, you have proven your point, well done sir.

I openly said you would have won that bet had you taken it, but you weren't confident enough to put your money where your mouth was. ...your bad?

"In a fight between a well conditioned athlete who tremendously overpowers your scrawny self and is ept at taking a person to the ground - more than likely by slamming (i.e, double leg take down), that my money is going to be on him. "

This was where the smart money was and still is.

"Do we need to put money on this? Clearly, you'll be losing it. Anyone with a general understanding of conditioning and the skill level that Lesnar has understands his enormous potential and that he's going to be a monster.

He doesn't know how to rain blows down?

Are you a damned fool? In less than a year of training one can learn how to properly throw a punch. The power he will have behind his blows will be TREMENDOUS. Its indescribable how badly the punches will hurt and how much damage they will cause.

When he easily tosses people and slams them because of his huge strength advantage, do you think they're going to be able to handle that?"

"I'm not talking about striking, I'm talking about raining punches on a downed opponent.

Not the ability to stand and strike and box. The fact that Lesnar has the ability to put someone on their back through his strength and wrestling skills, the game becomes simple then - ground and pound. Rain as many punches down in the direction of his head as you can and knock him out.

Its plain and simple.

Never did I say that Lesnar would be able to box like Muhammad Ali or be the best striker in the world, simply that he will pack a powerful punch."

He did prove his enormous potential. He did rain down blows. He did easily toss Mir. Mir couldn't handle being hit, he gloved up and just sat there until they were restarted. The only thing I was wrong about here was that he would be losing money and thats the only thing I've been wrong about in any of these quotes.

Everything about his potential and how hard his punches would be was 100% absolutely true. Meanwhile, if I was as big as loser as you I would go find quotes from you idiots saying he wouldn't be able to throw a punch and he'd get owned. Surely he got owned... yeah, right.

"Hes got no chance. Not that he cant learn, but having exp is a BIG plus."
Quote from Cash about Lesnar. Lets see some quotes, from you Blanco, talking shit about how Lesnar had no chance.

Once again, I congratulate you Blanco on only being able to make the one point that I had already made for you - that I would have lost my money. Everything else I said was proven and the caliber of this athlete was shown, he got caught after a bad restart. Whats your point here?

Lets see who Lesnar goes against next and lets see if we'll both put some money on the line.

At the end of the day, you and Cash were COMPLETELY WRONG saying that this guy would have no chance against god-like Martial artists like yourselves.

Never once did I ever back pedal or will I ever back pedal in argument with a mental midget such as yourself.

The only crow I eat is that I would have lost money. Guess what, anyone who put money on the "sure bet" of the New England Patriots winning the Super Bowl lost their money this year. Thats the point of gambling.

Blanco, can you please quantify for me, how bad it hurts to be as painfully stupid as you?

One year of training was not enough, just like we said.

Truth be told.

Im out.

@ Silver and Burnout. Its ok to be wrong, especially when you have no fucking clue what your are talking about.

@ Sliver, thanks for [partially] manning up and FINALLY admitting, after 6 pages of back peddling, that your prediction was off. I can [partially] respect that. So thanks. I am sure that Lesnar's next fight will be quite different from this one. Hopefully he hits the gym constantly.

Blah, Lesnar is a dead issue

this thread is now about about the living incarnation of Mr Van Driesen (from Beavis and Butt Head fame) telling us all about "real martial arts" and how he can throw fireballs at rival gang members that he really knows cause he happens to be a super combination of: Cain from Kung Fu, Snoop Dog, & Neal Pert.

It's alright Blanco, allot of people are Cooler on the Internet too

Back