UFC Press conference 7/31

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Things seem to be moving good with mma right now. Now all we need to is stack the HW division a bit with the likes of Josh Barnett, Brett Rogers, Alistair Overeem, Aleks Emelianenko, ect... I'm getting excited :ph34r:

Fedor is scared to fight the best (I know there's tons of his fans that will disagree) .
Andre Arlovski was winning the round until he got caught with the up punch when he tried a flying knee.
Many of his big fights were also against smaller guys (like Crocop) that had to bump up weight or were at a weight disadvantage.
He fought that goofy tall Asian guy but other then that....he hasn't fought anyone big like Lesnar.

I think the Hong Man Choi fight would be similar to if he were to fight Brock. That's how Brock got beat last time.

Fedor has plenty of "big" fights, especially compared to Lesnar. If anything, Lesnar could use more "practice" fights.

N-O-T-H-I-N-G like Lesnar. Hong Man Choi is huge and that is where his similarities to Lesnar end. Choi is not agile nor athletic due to his overly large and awkward size and body.

No, they're not physically the same. I never said they were. I just said I'm pretty sure something similar would happen where Lesnar would be no top of him the whole time. Remember Lesnar's first lose?

Choi was POUNDING on Fedor and Fedor managed to catch him in an arm bar. If you watch Lesnar's fights, he likes to charge/attack and if you noticed; many of Fedor's wins come from countering those.

Last edited:
Lesnar would NEVER get caught in Fedor's armbar, you wanna know why?

Mir put Lesnar is something like 4 armbars in their first fight. Lesnar's arms are so large he can rip them out at will. Fedor's armbar<Mir's Armbar.

Lesnar had more practice fights? He has fought one can in his career. Other then that it was Mir (twice), Couture and Heath Herring during the peak of Herrings career. That peak was ended by Lesnar.

As for Fedor...

Who the fuck are: Martin Lasorov, Levon Lagvilava, Hiroya Takada, Mihail Aposalov, Ryushi Yanagisawa, or Egidijus Valavicius? What about his wins over 185'ers like Matt Lindland, a middle weight? Are yous serious? He's ought a couple Light Heavyweights too, not impressive.

Bisbing Vs Lesnar? (actually this would be a cool fight, only because I hate Michelle "The Cunt" Bisping)

Fedor has ony fought a total of 2 worthy opponenets (Big Nog, and Arlofski). Some could say 4, but then you have to count Tim Syliva and Cro-Cop and... no, they don't fucking count.

On average, the average Lesnar opponenet>the average Fedor opponent. For all the hype, they have both fought the same number of top tier guys (2). If a Brock/Fedor fght happes before summer 2010 then Fedor has the advantage, but within 12 months Brock WILL eclipse him and it isn't crazy to think that if they fought tomorrow Brock could get the upset.

it's probably a good thing this is delayed. here's why.

1) brock will get better in a year. he hasn't peaked yet
2) fedor will cost the UFC less money
3) the more time passes, the more hype for the event=$$$$$

so Fedor signs with strikefarce. what a pussy. he really does not want to fight the best fighters in the world. he wants to have the legacy of a great record. what a bitch move.

the harlem globetrotters are undefeated, look at their legacy. lol

What does it matter if a person "counts" or not(as far as heavyweights go)? How are you judging it?

And, how you can you compare Mir's armbar to Emelianenko's? Since Lesnar got out of a couple, he's automatically immune? Point is, Fedor has proven he can "work" while getting his face beat in. That's how he got many wins. Hell, people though Randleman ended his career with that slam and many thought for sure Fujita was going to win after stunning Fedor with that punch.

We all know Lesnar is good at beating people but we don't know how well he'd do against someone who gets his many wins by countering that type of fighting. You all are so quick to dismiss Fedor but really, it's not something you can easily predict at all.

so Fedor signs with strikefarce. what a pussy. he really does not want to fight the best fighters in the world. he wants to have the legacy of a great record. what a bitch move.

the harlem globetrotters are undefeated, look at their legacy. lol

I don't think it's about being the "best" fighter in the world; but honestly seems more like a Fedor vs. Dana thing. I remember reading a quote where Fedor stated he would never join UFC as long as Dana was in charge. I may be wrong though as it has been a while, but that may not really be far off.

Really, only thing that kept Fedor(IIRC, it's actually M-1/Fedor's managers and not Fedor himself) from signing into UFC, was the co-promotion thing. M-1 didn't want to sign without co-promotion, and UFC didn't want to do co-promotions.

Last edited:
Fedor has a manager that is screwing him more than Don King screwed his boxers.

Everybody knows UFC doesn't co-promote. If thats your business, then do that business. The sad thing is that Fedor would promote M-1 far better by fighting in the UFC. He is going to miss his prime and come in old and bitter in a few years. Fedor and the UFC are not done.

Maybe it's a ploy to destroy UFC. lol. I mean, instead of Fedor coming to fight the best fighters in the world at UFC, why not lure the best fighters in the world to come fight the "best fighter in the world"? I mean, Sylvia and Arlovski got their shot...

Last edited:
well, you can lose out on 10 UFC fights and a lot of money to fight the #1 guy in the world.

I would choose to be in the UFC and fight the #1 UFC guy. more fights, more pay, more recognition if you want to start a gym or something. UFC guys also get more money in sponsorship.

strikeforce is going to spend a bunch of money like Elite XC then go bankrupt.

Strikeforce has been around longer than EliteXC(and probably UFC), so I wouldn't put them in the same boat. They've had to have good money management to stay afloat for so long. I think we may see something similar to WCW vs. WWF.

how you can you compare Mir's armbar to Emelianenko's? Since Lesnar got out of a couple, he's automatically immune?

Easy, Frank Mir is the best Submissions Heavyweight in the world and that includes Fedor. With little experience in MMA Lesnar proved he could neutralize Mir's armbar, now almost three years into his MMA career, Lesnar would not realistically be caught with an armbar by anybody.

Fedor's experience with armbars (not counting Choi) are with smaller opponents. Matt Lindland and Mark Coleman top that list. It is FAR more ridiculous to think that putting an Armbar on Lesnar would be as easy as putting one on someone with the lack of groundgame that Choi has, or with the smaller stature that the others have.

The only people in the world of combat sports who have ever faced an athelete like Lesnar are the people who have fought lesnar. A 230 man putting an armbar on a middleweight has nothing to do with submitting Lesnar, Mir himself was quoted as saying Lesnar's arms were too big.

Strikeforce has been around longer than EliteXC(and probably UFC), so I wouldn't put them in the same boat. They've had to have good money management to stay afloat for so long. I think we may see something similar to WCW vs. WWF.

and how did that one end? ^_^

"WWE"? lol, I haven't kept up. But when I was little, WCW was huge, and then WWF got bigger and picked up some of WCW's wrestlers. Even in this industry, PRIDE was huge(outside the US, of course), but now UFC has picked up a lot of their fighters. I honestly had never heard of UFC until they started airing it on SpikeTV; which I'm sure is how they got so popular. I only knew about Pride/K-1 etc. because of their DVDs at Suncoast and K-1's connection to kickboxers.

I guess I should have said submissions in general instead of armbars. As far as ground game goes, I believe Mir is not at the same level as Fedor.

BTW, the deal with Strikeforce coincides with Fedor's M-1 contract(3-fight), so once that's done it's possible for Fedor to sign with UFC.

Here's a interesting argument from Sherdog also:
For the sake of argument: while the UFC holds a majority share of quality heavyweights, the idea that Emelianenko’s legacy will be tainted by never making eye contact with them is a stretch.

Consider:

Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira: A non-entity where Emelianenko is concerned. He loses a fourth fight only if he fractures both his hands against Nogueira’s skull.

Randy Couture: Legendary, but well into middle age.

Frank Mir: Smashed to pieces by Brock Lesnar, and traditionally weakest where Emelianenko is strongest: dropping nuclear bombs on grounded opponents.

Ben Rothwell, Junior dos Santos, Mirko “Cro Cop” Filipovic, Cheick Kongo: I could think of better ways to spend a Saturday.

Putting aside inter-divisional fights with Anderson Silva or Lyoto Machida -- which would be lots of fun for spectators -- the UFC really has three upper-tier heavyweights with skills that could potentially give Emelianenko a very hard time: Brock Lesnar, Shane Carwin and Cain Velasquez. Three.

Strikeforce can match the ante with Alistair Overeem, Brett Rogers and some kind of wild card entrant: Bobby Lashley, Blagoi Ivanov, perhaps even Josh Barnett.

The proposition that Strikeforce employs air conditioning repairmen and the UFC enlists only Olympic athletes is pushing the envelope; I’d almost sooner see Emelianenko go on a free-agent tear for a year or two before settling in with the UFC, considering that their asphyxiating contracts invite retirement at their conclusions.

Last edited:
i think the ufc contracts are fair. they SHOULD pay the fighters more, but i think they are fair. do you think owners in the NFL would be ok with players spending summers in the CFL? not hardly. They pay the fighters the most money, they attract the best fighters (other than fedor and 145lb'ers) and offer the most promotion.

fedor hasn't done much lately. a win over an old arlovski, a pussed out and overrated tim silvia (who hasn't been the same since mir popped his arm like a popscicle stick) and others against a 44 year old mark coleman, bored and washed out cro cop....

the longer he waits to go to ufc, the more embarassing his loses. remember when cro cop went to UFC, man that was a joke.

if Dana REALLY wanted to fuck over fedor, he would just buy out strikeforce like he did with pride, then sign all the fighters. he already re-signed cro cop to keep him out of strikeforce. i predict a few more ufc signings to reduce the talent that fedor can fight. he wont get the draws like he could and he'll lose a lot of foolish money.

Back