UFC y0

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

I'm guessing Matt Hughes means that he wants a punching or kicking knockout because he slammed Carlos Newton down and Carlos went out cold.

EDIT: I just saw the Hughes Penn fight on YouTube, BJ did not "own" Matt at all, maybe in that triangle but that was Penn's fault, he got into it too late. Matt was in ok shape the first 2 rounds and the 3rd round he picked BJ apart. BJ gassed real bad.

Last edited:
i dont think he has gotten any better.
Were you not paying atention to the fight? Did you see how much better his striking has gotten. He was hitting Penn with some decent shots and combos before he dominated the 3rd round. Everyone says that BJ is better than Hughes. Hughes proved that wrong on Saturday night. but then you'll say, "well if BJ worked on his cardio blah blah blah"... cardio is part of the game, Matt's was better, therefore he is better. You can say 'if' in any way shape or form but bottom line is Matt has beaten both BJ and GSP fair and fucking square. Until either of them take the title from him, he is still the best fighter. Matt has even said BJ is a better fighter than he his. But you know something, MMA isn't just about fighting ability and Matt Hughes showed what it takes to be a champ.

Were you not paying atention to the fight? Did you see how much better his striking has gotten. He was hitting Penn with some decent shots and combos before he dominated the 3rd round. Everyone says that BJ is better than Hughes. Hughes proved that wrong on Saturday night. but then you'll say, "well if BJ worked on his cardio blah blah blah"... cardio is part of the game, Matt's was better, therefore he is better. You can say 'if' in any way shape or form but bottom line is Matt has beaten both BJ and GSP fair and fucking square. Until either of them take the title from him, he is still the best fighter. Matt has even said BJ is a better fighter than he his. But you know something, MMA isn't just about fighting ability and Matt Hughes showed what it takes to be a champ.

i agree with everything said. someone may be a better "fighter". that's very possible. but hughes is what is called a "champion". he has the head game, the conditioning, the focus. these are all intangibles. penn walked into the fight saying, "it's going to be a street fight, i'm just walking in there and beating him." that isn't how a champ thinks and that's why he got beat. he needs to change his mindset if he wants to get to the next level and not just be a replacement fighter.

all im sying is he is in the least competitive class. i dont think he is that great plain and simple. is he the champ? yes, but out of all the title holders in the ufc i am least impressed with him then followed by silvia.

you are right, it is pretty slim competition. but what can you do? you can't make more people fight, and they can't get better faster. now it's full of people from the tv show. plus you can't just keep making the same people fight over and over just because there isn't anybody else good to fight.

see the thing is, it's not up to him who he fights, it's up to Dana White.

Least competetive class? Have you actually seen some of the people in that weight class? Diego Sanchez, Frank Trigg, Joe Stevenson, Nick Diaz, GSP, Drew Ficket, Josh Koscheck, and the list goes on. Me personally i'd like to see him fight Diego Sanchez while Matt is still close to his prime but IMO I think Matt is passed his prime already.

I'm least impressed with Chuck Liddell. We all know he can strike but this is MMA, I at least wanna see him go to a ground fight once. Tito had the chance but blew it because Chuck got into his head with that whole "Tito isn't man enough to stand up and strike with me" thing. If Tito would of actually fought the way he fights, then he would of grounded and pounded Liddell to all hell. We will see what happens when they fight again, I can't wait :)

see the thing is, it's not up to him who he fights, it's up to Dana White.

Diego Sanchez, Frank Trigg, Joe Stevenson, Nick Diaz, GSP, Drew Ficket, Josh Koscheck, and the list goes on. Me personally i'd like to see him fight Diego Sanchez while Matt is still close to his prime but IMO I think Matt is passed his prime already.

I'm least impressed with Chuck Liddell. We all know he can strike but this is MMA, I at least wanna see him go to a ground fight once. Tito had the chance but blew it because Chuck got into his head with that whole "Tito isn't man enough to stand up and strike with me" thing. If Tito would of actually fought the way he fights, then he would of grounded and pounded Liddell to all hell. We will see what happens when they fight again, I can't wait :)

i think about 80% of the guys from the ultimate fighter show are just filler. people to make the classes bigger and to practice against. 20% are the real deal. diego sanchez is a beast and should be next in line to fight hughes.

yes, tito ortiz is good and chuck may be overrated. but it comes down to that whole "champion" deal. chuck played the games and tito fell into it. until someone can keep their head out and fight how they know and not be distracted they deserve to lose.

i think about 80% of the guys from the ultimate fighter show are just filler. people to make the classes bigger and to practice against. 20% are the real deal. diego sanchez is a beast and should be next in line to fight hughes.

yes, tito ortiz is good and chuck may be overrated. but it comes down to that whole "champion" deal. chuck played the games and tito fell into it. until someone can keep their head out and fight how they know and not be distracted they deserve to lose.
Only 3 of the 7 people I listed were on TUF and I wouldn't even count Diego Sanchez and one of them seeing as how he looked capable enough to get into the UFC by himself. The other guys from TUF are just as good talent-wise, they just lack the experience but when they get enough fights, watch the fuck out.

The champion deal, well, Tito was the champ before Chuck even arrived to the UFC. Hell, he was champ before Dana White even bought it so he knows what being a champ is all about. I feel he slipped with his mind set that day and it cost him a lot, A LOT! I'm sure this time will be different but only time will tell. I honestly want to see him (Tito) fight Forrest Griffin again because when he faught Forrest, Tito was at 80%, at best because he was heeling from his injured achilles tendon. Tito at 100% (mind set and all) will beat Chuck Liddell and would destroy Forrest Griffin. IMO of course :cool:

tito is washed up now
his prime was a long time ago

Oh, but speaking of washed up, why does Ken Shamrock feel the need to keep fighting? He will get killed by Tito again.

Shamrock sucks. I used to like him until i saw how he is on TUF. He reminds me of this meathead jock that i went to highschool with... down to the T.

Tito would wreck forrest if he was at 100%. Tito would put up a great fight with chuck if he was at 100%.

Im horrible with knowing weight classes. Where is Tito, matt, diego, and Rich Franklin?

the only fight i really care to see is franklin vs. hughes. i know they are in different weight classes, but they haven't always been. rich moved up and hughes stayed middleweight. it's a 16 pound difference between the two fighters. one of them could make the gain or loss pretty easy.

sean, those guys are all welterweight but rich is middleweight.

That would be an awesome fight. Arent they in the same camp, militage (sp)? If so, i bet they fight all the time... but id love to see it for real!! They could meet 1/2 way, rich lose 8lbs and matt gain 8, but i bet come fight night rich would bulk the fuck up.

Rich > Matt

yeah, they train together. they are good friends and don't want to fight. that's what would make it so good.

the only fight i really care to see is franklin vs. hughes. i know they are in different weight classes, but they haven't always been. rich moved up and hughes stayed middleweight. it's a 16 pound difference between the two fighters. one of them could make the gain or loss pretty easy.

sean, those guys are all welterweight but rich is middleweight.
Nah, Rich Franklin went down to Middleweight from Light Heavy Weight. That's why he fought Ken Shamrock a few years ago and Evan Tanner. Although I think He faught Evan Tanner at Middle Weight because Evan Tanner went down also from Light Heavy Weight. I know for a fact Evan went down because he faught Tito a couple years ago. Rich and Evan both have said it's hard for them to keep thier mass and that's why they went down in weight, especially Evan Tanner.

Sean - Matt Hughes and Diego Sanchez are Welterweights, Rich Franklin is a Middleweight, and Tito Ortiz is a Light Heavy Weight.

Back