uh oh

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

thegreat1310

i put a 91 si trannie in my 91 dx hatch about 3 months ago after i decimated the stock trannie and everything has been fine since. but tonight when i was riding around(grandma'ing it) my trannie went BANG and the car made a hard ass jerk and now gets stuck in every gear unless the car is off and not moving. also when it happened i was pulling off a green light and in the middle of a shift when it happened. my question is what happened? it snuck up out of nowhere when it happened because everything felt fine no more than 5 mins before.

shift fork more then likely, my car did the same sorta thing. except, it is now stuck in 3rd and makes horrid grinding sounds.

if it shifts ok when the car is not runing it might be the clutch

well it really took a dump now. when i was driving around feeling it out some more it made another bang and jerk and dropped all the tranny fluid at once and goes into gear but the gear isnt there. ive picked up another tranny so ill let you all know what i did. this makes my 3rd tranny since dec.lol

ok dudes heres the scoop,the syncros fine,mainshaft countershaft still ok,shift rod good,the diff spyder gears gave up then bided in the whole unit then bang out the tranny they go!!!so thats what happend

that might have happened to me also with my b16 tranny. All i heard was a big bang and when i looked harder there was a big chunk of metal missing under my tranny and exposing the diff. Damn, good luck with your tranny man . its going to me months before i even start looking for one.

I guess this is a bad time to tell you; 88-91 Transmissions have the weak diff pin(I don't know if that's what caused your problem though)!

I didn't know this until about a month ago after Transbone aka Transzex aka Mr Bone looked over a diff he was about to sell to me(91 Si diff). I've "upgraded" to a 92-95 EX differential instead(I checked the gap, suprisingly I didn't need to re-shim it). The 92+ have a thicker diff pin I believe.

that happened to mine. smashed out right where the shift linkage bolts up. I still have the spider gears which i found. it broke comming out of a toll booth on the garden state parkway. went to shift to second and BAM..that was the end of that. lol

Heh, that happened when the springs on my Prelude's clutch decided to blow the hell up. Had to shift without the clutch and turn off the car, put it in first, and start it when the light turned green for a couple of days. :mrgreen:

Quoted post[/post]]
that happened to mine. smashed out right where the shift linkage bolts up. I still have the spider gears which i found. it broke comming out of a toll booth on the garden state parkway. went to shift to second and BAM..that was the end of that. lol
look at my BUSTED TRANNY thread. I got pics. Is that similar to what happened to you? :p

Back