Ultimate Destruction Of A High Boost Engine

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Canuck 93 Civic Si

This may sound like a dumb question, but what ultimately determines the fate of a high boost setup? If the revs are kept low and detonation is eliminated will the pistons or rods eventually fail as a result of the higher power or is it all about keeping detonation away?

And for no reason whatsoever, a few pictures of broken engine parts

s3e6fe9595c382.jpg

s3e6fe97459c74.jpg

s3e6fe92ab68d3.jpg

s3e6fe9409e234.jpg

s3e6fe906bde13.jpg

It's usually all about keeping detonation away. If you have good burn through the fuel/air mix, you should be ok. Failure over time due to too much power or just plain stress on your components isn't nearly as common as something breaking because something screwed up. You would notice something going bad over time to the point of failure.

Sorry about your motor.... But i dont think it was a good idea to begin with to turbo a high compression motor that has CTR/ITR pistons in it. It's extremely difficult to eliminate detonation with high compression motors even if your running low boost. :worthy:

I did that exact same thing to my car... I dropped a valve from a broken timing belt, it wasn't a tuning issue. We overtorqued the cams and while racing, overstressed the timing belt, which broke it. Oops.

Scrap head, scrap piston, scrap, rod, new bearings were needed too.

BIG mistake.

Back