under valve cover clicking/tapping?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Delsol94

in the past month i have noticed a tapping or clicking from under my valve cover and it seams like it runs fine but idk what it is, any suggestions like adjusting valves timing belt slip or something? i have a turbo thats going on in about a month i just want to make sure its healthy for that. thanks

did you change your oil and/or start running a thinner oil?

are you low on oil?

adjust your valve lash?

That is a little light on the oil ,... in this mechanics opinion,... I live in Las Vegas and it is extreme here,.. I don't put anything lighter than 20/50 for you nothing less than 10/40. Adjust your valves and check the tension on the timing belt,.... shit its a four cylinder it might click a little.

you know, i first noticed it on my wife's 01 integra... a random click while the engine was running. it'll click a few times at random. never had an issue with it. the i swapped in a b20 into my 97 integra... same deal... checked the valve lash on the rocker arms, everything is within spec... both cars do it. have no idea what it is....

Adjust the valves may cure the issue. VTEC heads are known for loud valves but non-VTEC heads can be quieter. If the valves tolerances are too tight.....the motor will get to running temp way too fast because of the friction (I've accidentally done this).

Not sure but if non-VTEC's have lost motion assemblies (LMA's).....this could be a source of the problem too

kinda a noob to internals, how do u check the valve clearance, and the timing belt should be good, so the clicking prolly isnt hurting anything?

If you are a noob at valve clearance and have no one to help you (for free) then I suggest having a mechanic do it. Sadly, it's much more expensive that way.

To Do it Yourself:
Get a good manual for that motor......no matter what.
Its mostly basic metric tools to get the valve cover off
You need to turn the crank a few times so the camshafts are in the right position for each valve (so the valve is as open as it can get)
You need to use the correct size feeler gauges.
You also need to use a flat head and a 10mm or 12mm wrench at the same time.
I welded a 10mm deep socket and an old wrench together
My bolts on the rockers in my old VTEC head needed such a tool so I made one instead of buying one.

Its definitely a "feel" thing in terms of the drag on the feeler gauge. This is where you live and learn. Just make sure they are all done at the same tolerances (in terms of the drag felt on each valve).

Back