Underage Military Personnel Debate

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

crazy you can go to war for someone your not old enough to vote for......let them drink at least

You can vote when and enlist when you are 18.
Its a tough one think `about the stupid shit you and friends did while underage drinking. On the other hand I agree with if you can get killed for the country you should be able to drink, but just on base.

You can vote when and enlist when you are 18.
Its a tough one think `about the stupid shit you and friends did while underage drinking. On the other hand I agree with if you can get killed for the country you should be able to drink, but just on base.
Everyone keeps saying that. Simple solution, Just like any other privilege, if you abuse it, it gets taken away.

Well, since you can vote when you're 18, then let's vote for an alcoholic who'll actually give us privileges like that lol.

Now what kind of sense does that make??? :confused:

If you can't figure out that one is more intoxicating than the other, then no sense at all. In fact, many countries do it this way, so i guess it is just arbitrary judgement on their part.

Shit, everyone I know including me didnt give a shit about the drinking age when we were "underage." People i knew in the military when they were underage had no problem getting liqour and neither do people out of it. I dont think there should be different standards for this kind of thing. How do you think the voting age was lowered to 18? of course, this was more of an issue of not being able to influence the politicians sending you to war.

on second thought, it may be a great way to up recruitment. Just imagine the slogan: Join the Navy. Travel the world. Get drunk!

If you can't figure out that one is more intoxicating than the other, then no sense at all. In fact, many countries do it this way, so i guess it is just arbitrary judgement on their part.
I understand one is more intoxicating than the other, But the problem with 18 for beer and 21 for hard alcohol is they both have the same effect. You just have to drink more beer than hard liquor.

ive gotten just as fucked up off of beer as i have off of hard liquor
on the same note ive also had a few beers and stayed pretty much sober, and ive done the same thing with hard liquor
one time i got shit faced on wine and had one of the worst drunks / hangovers in my fucking life
i have also had a few glasses of wine with dinner or whatever without getting even remotely buzzed

i dont really see much of a difference
its like only allowing 18 year olds to buy ultra light cigarettes, 19 year olds to buy lights, 20 year olds to buy mediums, and when you turn 21 you can finally buy regulars... they are the same damn thing, they do the same damn thing, the only difference is the packaging

The question is: "If you're old enough to kill and die why aren't you old enough to drink?" Unfortunately the argument just doesn't work the other way. Being in the military doesn't magically make you more mature.

im 17 and in the U.S.M.C.
for everyone that doesnt know what that is
its the MARINES
anyway i leave for bootcamp july 7th
and i agree with most of the guys on here
that drinking for military personel
should be able to drink on base ONLY
drunk military personel do not mix with civis
its just a bad combination

i hate to break it to you son, if you haven't gone to boot camp yet, you aren't "in" the marines.

That's my point right there. He hasn't even gone yet and he's trying to distinguish himself from the 'civi's'. :D

Marines are not selected for their outstanding ASVAB scores.
when i was in tech school, i was at sheppard afb. they had a small school for marines there. i was talking to them one day and we were discussing asvab scores.

Fucktard marines: i did good on my asvab. i got a 32.
Me:haha, nice, i got a 92 on mine
Fucktard marines:"thats bullshit. quit lying. you're full of shit. blah blah blah".
Me:"how the fuck are you going to tell me i'm lying".
Fucktard marines: because the asvab only goes to 40 you fucking liar.
Me: :disgust1:

Someone told me you actually need a higher ASVAB to be in the infantry than you do to be a navy cook. Having cranked and been mess deck master at arms (and infantry for that matter), I believe it...

Someone told me you actually need a higher ASVAB to be in the infantry than you do to be a navy cook. Having cranked and been mess deck master at arms (and infantry for that matter), I believe it...
it's very possible. cook is a general field in the services devision. if you go in services, you could be a cook, gym attendant, mortuary, etc. i think it's the lowest requirements out of all. it's roughly a 27. to be in infantry, i think you need a 33 or something. still rediculously low though.

whoops...

Good thing you quoted me, i actually meant to say the infantry was smarter than the cooks. Guess i proved myself wrong... :D

our standards are still higher than terrorists, they recruit the mentaly retarded to be suicide bombers.

I hate to say I've often said that america and the middle east deserve each other. Between the two regions we have to have the most religous fanatics per capita in the whole world.

Back