Underdrive pulleys

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

civicsi1415

I have a 99 civic si........ I just got done replacing my tranny. With the new tranny I also installed a act HD street/strip clutsh, Fidanza 7.5lb flywheel, Skunk2 short shifter and shift knob, Energy Suspension shifter stabalizer bushings, and a DC 4-1 ceramic header. Now it is time for tune up stuff (i.e. timing belt, serpentiene belt, plug wires, ect.) I have been looking at the unortodox underdrive pulley kit that comes with the lightened crank, alternator, ac, and one other pulley. Now I was wondering are these pulleys worth putting on my car. I figured that if im going to be in their anyway for the belts, I should do these also, but was wondering if it is a good investment. I havent really heard anything bad about them and that is why I ask your opinions. Any help you could give me would be great

the pulleys are un balanced and will cause additional vibration in the engine causing additional stress and basicly fucking it up
underdriving components greatly reduces their life and reliability... basicly fucking it up

its really not worth the 3 hp you might gain.... find that power elsewhere

just for your info a serpantine belt means one single belt runs all accessories such as alternator, Ac, ps, crank, water pump. Honda don't run this. Don't bother with the crank pulley, and dump the DC header kid.

Milan

if you want something a little better than stock... nothing
if you want to put out some real power they just suck

the design isnt that great
they dont flow that great

like i said they are fine for an entry level part for the person looking for something a little better than stock
but if you want MAX power you really should go with something else

what do you want to spend
what do you want to achieve

good --- JDM ITR is about $350 - $400
best --- SMSP is about $1000 - $1200

the others i listed fall in there somewhere

Now, what does one use when the JDM ITR doesn't fit without removing a chassis brace and one does not have $1000 to spend on a custom header?

im not too sure on what does and doesnt fit for LS/VTEC setups.....
but the Comptech piece is very good.... goes for about $400
the Toda piece is very good but its about $900
HyTech is in the same price range as SMSP but its supposed to be just as good

It's not the motor that is the problem, any 1.8L B series heard fits fine (not sure about a B16 header), it's the chassis. I have a brace that runs from front to rear right next to the header. So I cannot run a 4-1 without collapsing that brace (bad idea IMO) or removing it (worse idea).

the comptech and toda ones are 4-2-1
the only 4-1 listed was the JDM ITR

but the SMSP and HyTech are rediculously long so they will end up taking up the same room as a 4-1

JDMilan posted up a link to a new header that looked very promising ill try to find it

*** here it is
http://www.an-r.com/headers/b-series.html

I saw that link. The header looks awesome, but I would have to move my radiator forward and run slim fans to make room :).

I didn't know that the Comptech and Toda headers were 4-2-1, I will look into those. Thanks.

the second one looks like it wouldnt take up nearly as much space
kinda hard to tell where its routed though... looks way over to the right side ... not sure if it will meet up to the rest of the exhaust well

Back