Understeer...

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

ChrisSiR

How can i help or fix my understeer problem in my crx? its the only thing i hate about the car is the understeer.... any suggestions as to what parts to buy? brands and sizes/stiffness/etc always helpful.....

so far all i have are ground control springs(skunk works), and i have quite a bit of camber up front.... soon to have a strut tower bar.....

Originally posted by NoJokE@Dec 20 2003, 09:57 PM
a thick rear sway bar will help. Stickier tires, LSD. Just off the top of my head.

Interesting.... weird how you need to modify the back to fix the problem up front... ha ha.... im picking up some 205/60/hr14's here in the next week or so im hopeing this will help the problem.....

curious, how does the LSD help? :unsure:

Bare with me, this is my first venture into suspension... kinda learning as i go here.

to reduce understeer*:

-stiffer springs in back

-more pressure in rear tires than in front

-(technique used on some awd drift cars) run narrower rims in back than ones in front with same size tire.

-get rear tires that offer less traction

-sway bar; reduce roll

and to increase overall cornering speed:

-lsd

-lighten the car

-stickier rubber on front and back

**btw, a lsd can actually work against you in cornering if your tires can't handle it, thus causing more understeer.

Originally posted by K2e2vin@Dec 21 2003, 01:21 AM
to reduce oversteer:

-stiffer springs in back

-(technique used on some awd drift cars) run narrower rims in back than ones in front with same size tire.

-sway bar; reduce roll

-lsd

-lighten the car

**btw, a lsd can actually work against you in cornering if your tires can't handle it, thus causing more understeer.

great but his problem is too much UNDERsteer..unless you were just trying to point out that last bit about the LSD. yea i agree that LSD would make understeer even worse.

my suggestion would be stiffer springs up front, or if you have adjustable coilovers just raise the front (or lower the back) a little.

Originally posted by K2e2vin@Dec 21 2003, 01:21 AM
to reduce oversteer:

-stiffer springs in back

-sway bar; reduce roll

-lsd

-lighten the car

dude i think you mean thats to reduce UNDERSTEER.

Rear tires with less traction will cause you the ass to swing out, that doesnt reduce oversteer.

More pressure in rear tires will also help counter understeer.

Originally posted by NoJokE+Dec 21 2003, 12:05 PM-->
@Dec 21 2003, 01:21 AM
to reduce oversteer:

-stiffer springs in back

-sway bar; reduce roll

-lsd

-lighten the car

dude i think you mean thats to reduce UNDERSTEER.

Rear tires with less traction will cause you the ass to swing out, that doesnt reduce oversteer.

oh thankyou lol. yes that is what i meant. sry! i guess i shouldve proofread.

:yes:

:no: to reduce understeer (invoke oversteer) you want lower tire pressure in the rear and higher pressure in the front.

Originally posted by sportlinecrx@Dec 23 2003, 04:25 AM

:no: to reduce understeer (invoke oversteer) you want lower tire pressure in the rear and higher pressure in the front.

more pressure in tires will cause less traction, and in a fwd car you want to take away some of that rear wheel traction. lowering tire pressure in rear and increasing in front will cause oversteer.

Originally posted by sportlinecrx@Dec 23 2003, 03:25 AM

this really depends on the specific tire

Originally posted by K2e2vin@Dec 23 2003, 03:48 AM
then also read this sentra suspension tuning -this website was previously posted by pissedoffsol

and i quote from the chart on that exact site:

suspension adjustment:
Front tire pressure higher

Affect on vehicle's balance:
Less understeer by reducing slip angles on most tires*

suspension adjustment:
Rear tire pressures lower

Affect on vehicle's balance:
More oversteer
Except with BFG R-1 tires.

They will grip more and oversteer less if the pressures are decreased within a reasonable amount.

END QUOTE

that is exactly what i have been saying. to reduce understeer you need more tire pressure up front and less in the rear. i have done this on my own car so i know it is correct. now if you guys want to keep arguing about it. be my guest. im out.

Back