Unreal 3 engine!

?

• Total voters

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Yeah, if I had the money right now I wouldn't do it. There are too many new board architectures on the cusp of release. PCI-E, something-something, another acronym, you know. :p All I know is, I want Athlon FX, N-Force chipset, at least a gig of memory, probably 1.5 gig, and I would like to go to SATA I think. Possibly SCSI if I can find drives cheap enough.

Nah, SCSI all the way. I used to be 100% SCSI, then I broke down and bought two of the WD 100GB SE drives when they came out. Even my 4 year old 10k SCSI drive was still faster- so I've got 4 SCSI drives, 2 IDE drives, 3 SCSI opticals, 1 IDE optical (damn you Plextor for selling out!) in my system right now. I still think SCSI architecture is superior to SATA, especially because of smart command queueing. The WD Raptors have the logic on their controllers, but there aren't any SATA controllers that can utilize it yet.

Originally posted by Battle Pope@Aug 27 2004, 11:25 AM
By the time I get around to upgrading there probably will be. :p
[post=382705]Quoted post[/post]​

Maybe, we'll see. :) For now, SCSI > SATA > IDE

Yeah this looks absolutely incredible:

p_soldier.jpg

But it dosen't quite look like that in-game yet:

SoftShadows.jpg

The first shot is still probably an in-game shot, but it's probably a live-rendered cut scene or something... no background, or anything else. The monster is taking up the entire render. When the quality of the models are as good as the first shot while in the game with 31 other multiplayer models just as detailed, I'll be content. :D

Originally posted by DarkHand@Aug 27 2004, 02:59 PM
Yeah this looks absolutely incredible:

The first shot is still probably an in-game shot, but it's probably a live-rendered cut scene or something... no background, or anything else. The monster is taking up the entire render. When the quality of the models are as good as the first shot while in the game with 31 other multiplayer models just as detailed, I'll be content. :D
[post=382801]Quoted post[/post]​

Well, they did make the distinguish between the "real time" and other type of higher quality meshes... the higher quality ones will probably be used for a specific type of movement, like a rendered on the fly cut scene with pre-determined movements. Since you can't predict real time movement, there's no way you can pack as many polys in there as a cut scene, so it's going to be lower quality. It's not like you're going to notice much of a difference in the middle of a firefight anyway.

:)

Back