Update H22/H23

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

DesertNightEagle

just to let you guys know my h22/h23 engine is almost done. it should have close to 300hp just motor.... hopefully :D
i just recently had to have clay testing done cuz i was unsure of the valve clearance since i had the head and the block's deck milled. but it checked out good and found something interesting. the pistons on the h23 are different than the h22. the bore is the same but the indentions for the valves on the pistons are in slightly different places (the h22 are a little wider out) but it is no big deal because the clearance was still alot altho i might tear down the motor and put 10:1 h22 pistons in, i havent decided yet but i think i will keep it the same until something blows(thats if something blows...hopefully not ;) ).

has port and polish, crower cams stage 2a, aem cold air intake, aem true-time camgears, aem powerpulleys, str 70mm throttlebody, golden eagle turbo intake manifold and imagine engineering 4-2-1 header(dyno proven 13hp over dcsports)

and for looks i have the SiR blue valve cover, everything else is painted silver and anodized blue.

I know people already posted some of this stuff but i'll tell you what you need to do this swap since i have nothing better to do right now:

first you need h22 head with all the components (valvetrain and all) you'll need the h22 exhaust and intake manifold (and gaskets)cuz the h23s doesnt match up. however you can use the h23 throttlebody. you'll need a h22 head gasket and h22 headbolts, the dowel pins are located at a different spot on the h22 head. you'll need h22 cam gears, water pump, tensioners, oilpump etc. the distributor is the same. i believe i went ahead and bought the h22 belt cover. you'll need the h22 ecu and rewire it.... altho i havent reached that point yet but i will very soon

but if anyone is thinking about doing this hybrid i suggest just going all h22, it is a very expensive swap because you have to make all the stuff that the timing belt touches match up and H-series stuff, but i spent alot of money trying to make the engine more powerful.

hopefully i'll have pictures of the engine soon, i do however have pictures of the tranny and some suspension components, i will post these pictures when i have my engine back and totally assembled :)

WOW,

i didn't think this hybrid was possible..

what kind of machine work did you need to have done to put the h22 head on h23 block...

do the oil lines match up from block to head...?

i forgot to add that you will need to setup an oil line from the block to the head, i'll give you more info and a picture of the oil line when i get my engine back. but as for machine work you really dont need any... but my block was bad when i bought my lude so i had sleeves put in and had to buy a new crankshaft and connecting rods. but i will most definately put pictures up really soom :)

Wow, I hope it turns out good and makes mucho power. Thanks for all the info, I assumed the hybrid would be easy to do, glad somebody actaully tried it to tell us all otherwise. Keep us posted!

ok guys i got my engine back and took pictures. first of all i'd like to say you do not need any external oil lines in this swap. but if you are doing this and want them there is 2 taps. on is where your oil cooler&filter go, its on top of that, or if you have the right tools you can make a new hole, but why make it harder on yourself. 2nd tap is in the head, also pretty noticable. so basically your line goes from the oil filter screw-in to the head, if you are looking at the oil filter screw in you would go up and right, its near the bottom of the head.

ok now for the picture part.... i dont know how to upload it here, i dont know how to make a webpage so if i have any volunteers i'll send them (via email) the pictures and they can post it:)

well i made an album but it wont let me post it cuz it keeps saying dynamic pages in the tags are not allowed

[img]https://hondaswap.com/gallery/images/s4017edacaae78.jpg

uh i found the problem :D

s4017edf330d4f.jpg

hard to read but it says H23A1

s4017f02d94ee9.jpg

s4017efda57e59.jpg

ok here are the oil taps, face your block like the picture, have the intake manifold facing you if your block is assembled.... just remember this is not required, you do not need external oil lines

s4017ee5a7ef56.jpg

now look where the oil cooler/oil filter would go, on top of it is a little plug, remove it

s4017eef8d1f76.jpg

now on the head there is a plug you need to remove

s4017ef0e75314.jpg

after its removed you can put in your lines, should be the same line as the h22's

its not completely finished, i have a few more parts to buy and to put on then i'll drop it in the lude and give it a test, this is my first honda, and i never drove one before but i'm sure i'm going to love this thing

oh, and just so you guys dont think i'm a complete idiot.... which i'm almost there...lol.... but we painted the front fenders cuz i have z3 fenders and i didnt know if that black in the engine compartment is the color i want on the outside, which thank god i did that cuz altho its pretty cool when the light hits it i think i'm going with a more expensive color

I am loving the blue. I was gonna go blue on mine before, but because of other stuff, I'm going red.

That blue looks fookin tight tho!! :thumbsup:

And 300 hp, nice. It's good to know that overkill hasn't died out yet. :p

yeah i was thinking about going red too, cuz thats what the car's color use to be, but i decided blue. the valve cover is pretty cool in real life, looks really dark but at certain angles it looks lighter. if you want the red Type S valve cover you should check out robear racing at tornactive.com, thats where i got my SiR cover.

i will take more pictures after everything else is on :)

Back