Update H22/H23

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

incredible looking work man. maybe one day i'll be albe to make some upgrades like that to my prelude. keep up the good work. :thumbsup:

shop put on the head, thats how come i'm probably taking it back off since they put the head gasket on upside down. "GOD" - Napeleon Dynamite. but the piston squirters, havent put them in yet, i'm going to when i go for the turbo or atleast when i go to finish up the oil to the head thing since i'm not using the golden eagle oil sandwich plate anymore. i was once thinking about doing water injection, but that cost too much money....

i dont know what to do about putting the camshafts back in. cause you have to remove the shafts to put on or remove the head right? i dont know how i would reset the shafts after the head was put on correctly.

also,,, check to see if they removed the oil orifice that is on the back side of the block. h22 and h23 blocks are identical (pulled an h23 apart) so they should have removed that for oil reasons for Vtec.. otherwise, from my research Vtec wont engage.

oh, what ecu are you using--- p13, p28, p72?

also is the lude your daily driver. cause i wanna know if you think it will hold up to standard driving with your setup

yeah the oil control orifice was removed, before i did the swap i happen to come across http://www.hondaplex.com/conversion.html and did what he said. and technically the guy doesnt say it wont engage vtec but rather states that it doesnt rev past 6500 if i remember right. therefore, he isnt getting the full benefit of vtec.

I do have a theory about the oil control orifice thing tho (which really doesnt apply to me). ok say if dont have an external oil line that goes to the head, then you want to remove it. but the oil line you can run to the head will work just like the gsr's oil system. its quite simple to run this line especially with the sandwich plate. only bad thing of using the sandwich plate is that it takes up alot of room thus not letting me get the oil filter on or off. earlier in the post i showed the plug on the back of the block that you can take out to put on a oil fitting for the oil line. this is just a theory tho, not a proven fact thats how come i made sure to tell the shop about the orifice.

as for a daily driver..... HELL NO. too much money into that sucker. I have a '01 mustang gt and '99 toyota 4runner if i want to go everywhere. I just built a honda prelude to be different in my area. going to use a p28 since its has the setup for the knock sensor

and yes, if you want to remove the head you'll need the camshafts moved to get to the headbolts.

tarheel, you sound interested in taking on this project but let me tell you that it probably isnt worth it. If knew what i know now, then i would of just bought a full h22 complete swap for 2,200 and started from there. As i said, i did this to be different. but i can tell you I learned alot from building this and alot from everybody that posts on Hondaswap. ----- brownie points.....

yup, very interested, primarily because i tried to get an H22 when i had the original H23 go out,,, BUT (being 17 at the time) dad took control, took it to a shop that said i could not do it due to wiring, but i said i could... they ignored me... so now i have an h23 with ~50-60k miles on it... i figure the bottom end is in a good enough condition to do the conversion,, and i am doin the conversion to show that it can be done to the guys in the area and to be different like you. and because i have read that it drops stock compression to 9.3:1 or somewhere in there with H23 pistons

yeah, i spent alot of money on what i wanted it to be like. for example, i didnt like how the stock intake manifold on the h22 look like so i opted for an aftermarket, and i wasnt going to stop there. therefore i bought a throttlebody to match. But it can swing either way, you can make it a cheap swap or you can make it really expensive. If you have both h23 and h22 engines to your disposal and lots of garage space you'll have no problem doing this hybrid. I didnt have both, I just figured I'll slap on the head and be ok and I was wrong. It all comes to the extent of how far you want to go into the build. I really recommend that people just buy the h22 complete conversion cuz who really knows if .1 of a liter is really going to help. I'd like to think that it doesnt hurt, but the fact of the matter is all the other parts(or work) that went into the engine are the power enhancers and not the slight increased stroke. I'll be making a new thread to explain certain stuff i learned while building this, altho i am missing a few pictures to help explain everything.

Originally posted by tab@Apr 27 2005, 01:13 AM
Video Question:

You have my respect, and a decent ride. Good job. Just don't wing that shit. I hate HUGE wings.

[post=491892]Quoted post[/post]​

dont worry, not planning on a huge wing. I'm looking for a body spoiler. Kind of like ones you find on saleens. I see them for Accords and Civics but I just can not find them anywhere for my lude.

Your engine is what all H22 owners should aspire to.

:hitit: :worthy:

dude
ur shit is sooo sweeet
im getting a jdm h22A but idk if im going to be able to do all that stuff your doin :blink:

im planning on going all motor with probably NOS..but idk yet
i dont even have the motor yet
going to order it real soon :)

im planning on going all motor with probably NOS..but idk yet
i dont even have the motor yet
going to order it real soon

I dont know what effects NOS will have on the H22, but id be worried about doing it without resleeving the block. Hell im pretty scared putting a T25 on my engine with stock sleeves...I wonder if deserteagle did his before he put the Turbo on his.

h22a has a closed deck block configuration, so provided the right setup and tuning it will handle forced induction FAIRLY well on a stock block
edit i believe actually only the obd1's had this deck configuration ....i think obd2 may have been open deck

you are correct, the OBD2 has an open block, but the OBD1 still had the bad sleeves that would need to be replaced with anything over about 8 psi...I think i head somewhere else that there are new pistons that also fix that problem.

this is off topic but there was a guy that ran OEM honda internals on the block for over a year on 10psi from a turbo in a USDM h22a1 with no modifying the block at all.

also for those thinking of doing H23 Vtec, i priced it out for the conversion and i can get almost all of the pieces for $900 (some S&H included) thats a rough estimate. still havent price the timing belt or the head bolts. but that is not rebuilding the head or have the oil squirters installed or taking the motor to a machine shop

15psi+type S cams+VAFC is safe if you know how to tune.
http://superiorracing.com (SRD) ran 15psi on a daily driven stock block jdm h22 for over a year.
10.72 :worthy:
The old list of mods had nothing internal other than type S cams.
The list of mods is new, they built the block for 30psi, and are running at SpeedWorld on May 21st, looking for 8s i hear.

Sorry, I havent made a new post, I've been busy saying by to friends because I'm going into the Army later this month. I'll try to make it before I leave, but I cant promise that.

ahhh, crap, sorry for not making a new post guys. as I said, i'm joining the Army very soon and between working out to get fit and my personal life i didnt mkeit. I haven't even worked on the the car here lately. Mostly cuz i'm finished until i have someone look at the oil leak and fix it. and it needs tuning bad. right now it wont start since the spark plugs are so fowl. I'm not worried tho, plans are that my dad is going to get it running good and then when i get back from Airborne or Air Assault school we'll get it to another shop to put the turbo on and get it on the street before I head off to AIT. And after all that, it's simply just body work :) I still need to find a decent size T3 turbo which hopefully i'll just buy before I leave for BCT.

Originally posted by reikoshea@May 9 2005, 12:59 AM
you are correct, the OBD2 has an open block, but the OBD1 still had the bad sleeves that would need to be replaced with anything over about 8 psi...I think i head somewhere else that there are new pistons that also fix that problem.
[post=496835]Quoted post[/post]​

I've looked into this quite a bit and read "Maximum Boost" by Corky Bell. Great book.

The ring lands on the H22 piston are the weakest link in stock internals. Driver1 says there are specially coated pistons that you can use with the stock sleeves. That would be a smart choice.

7 psi doesn't sound like much, but the H22 is already high compression. A turbo just raises the effective compression ratio. You don't need 30 psi to make power. Using the right turbo at 7 psi is way better than running a smaller turbo at 15 psi. Pressure makes heat which causes detonation.

If you want a monster engine, then nothing should be stock.

Tab, you quoted something i TOTALLY dont remember saying. I read that and i was like, "Wow that guy knows more about the H22 than I do."

But hey, i was right, they company Mahle makes a forged aluminum piston in 3 compression types for the H22. Im planning on getting them later on, but we will see. Tuition just kicked my ass for money for a while.

Back