Update on the WRX

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Originally posted by pissedoffsol@Jun 19 2004, 08:17 PM
see, air pressure is presurized by tthe turbo... so even though the air is thinner up there.

soo, basically it takes MORE effort to make 1 psi (work fromt he turbo) but once the 1 psi of air is in, the motor is in boost- and not vacuum, and the altitude factor is no where NEAR as drastic as it is on an all motor car.

keep that in mind.

Care to finish that thought??? I'm completely lost here.

ok, well, basically, as you go up in sea level, the air is less dense.
that's why its harder to breathe, and harder for a car to make power- there's less air "mass" per "volume" = density .

what does a turbo do? compresses air. thus, returning it to a more-dense state. so, once you're out of vacuum, and into boost, the difference, although still there, is hardly near as drastic as an all motor car suffers.

my best guess would be that he would run about .2 quicker and 2-3 mph quicker at sealevel- not the corrected huge jump as suggested.

So wait.... I know the basic principle behind it, but I just wanted you to finish that thought. Good explanation, however... here's my thinking.

Sea level, a car with a turbo spools and runs a 13.5. The next day that same car with the turbo spools in Denver Colorado and only runs a 14.0.

Isn't the car in Denver still compressing a lesser amount of air than it would at sea level? You already have the 14.2 PSI at sea level ontop of the boost, but going into thinner air would mean you're spooling less even with the turbo working at the same psi. Right???

granted- but the turbo makes up for it.

at sea level, the ambient air is 1 bar, or 14.7 psi.

as you go up, this number drops... to say 14.2 where chris lives.

now, inorder to make 1 psi of boost, the turbo at sea level makes 1 psi.
in denver, its making 1.5 psi of boost, but due to the enviroment in which its in, its actually boosting the amount that would equal 1.5 psi at sea level, but is still registering as 1 psi, due to the elevation

ah. ok putting it into numbers helps to clarify things for me. That makes sense.

Awesome thread.

For a more concrete example, at Bandimere where Chris is running the NHRA rails are lucky to run under 7 seconds there. Where at sea level they can turn 4 second slips. Altitude affects boosted cars as well. Maybe not as much but it is still significant.

Close. The Top Fuel boys up here run in the high 5-second times up here, while down at sea level, they run in the high 4's. You might say that a whole second isn't all that much, but think of it this way: Their ET's are increasing by 25%. That should put it into a little better perspective.

The moral of the story is: While a turboed car has an advantage over a naturally aspirated car at sea level vs. high altitude, a turbo does not completely erase the effects of the thinner air.

Long story. His name is Fritz, and he's the Mountain States pirate parrot. You'd have to read a bunch of the threads in there to get the idea.

Back