Updating my build/loop (pics!)

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

GSRCRXsi

Super Moderator
VIP
well ive got the upgrade bug. new job + more money = new computer build lol. my old computer was getting a little dated, so i sold most of it off and started putting together a nice, fast, future-proof(ish) rig that would be good for gaming and pretty much anyting else.

old rig:
Q6600 @ 3.6GHz
Asus P5K3 Deluxe
8GB DDR3 1600 (@1333)
GTX280 std.
640GB caviar blue
and watercooled with some dtek blocks and swiftech rads.
everything internal in my Rocketfish case

pic:
DSC012001.JPG

so the new rig is as follows:
i7-920 D0 (hopefully clocked to 4.0+GHz)
EVGA E758-TR mb
6GB Corsair Dominator 1600MHz (7-7-7-20)
EVGA GTX285 (flashed to FTW)
2x Intel 80GB in RAID-0

still all water cooled. i upgraded the CPU block to an Apogee XT, redid some of the tubing, and got rid of the res. moved to a t-line setup, and i think im gonna like it better this way. the GTX285 and waterblock havent arrived yet but i should get them tomorrow. that way i can finish the loop. you can tell how the loop will be and ill update with more pics. but i apologize for the pic quality, my iphone is my only camera now.

pics:
IMG_0027.JPG

IMG_0025.JPG

IMG_0026.JPG

IMG_0024.JPG

IMG_0022.JPG

envious. im in desperate need of an upgrade too, but getting a PS3 and other stuff is higher on the list right now :(.

just curious, are you running any fan controllers? notice you have 6+ fans, probably low voltage fans (or volt moddded), but its handy. i have a sunbeam rheostat and i love the ability to turn it to almost silent when im not gaming and then cranking it up when i need it.

oh yeah, what thermal grease are you using? im looking into getting a tube of AC MX2 as the AS5 i have is more than 5-6yrs old and its slight conductive :ph34r:.

Im using the artic ceramic or whatever is the ceramic version of AS5. it came with the block. if i find my tube of AS5 ill probably use that.

AFAIK, AS5 is not conductive, but slightly capacitive.
no fan controller. the top fans are 1200rpm and nearly silent. the fans on the lower rad are 2000rpm, but i have them volted down to like 7v via inline resistors, they are pretty quiet too. gets the job done though.

capacitive = hold charge?
conductive = transfer charge?

either way, ive been using AS5 for a while too and havent had any problems either. just a bit more cautious now. however, I do find it a bit cumbersome to spread. I usually just cheat and put a rice grain and rotate the heatsink to "smear" it similar to chipsets instead of the recommended credit card method for processors. but since my tube is so old now, i was thinking of getting another TIM and by far the most recommended for ease of use, cure-time and price, the MX2 comes in first; same company that makes AS5 btw.

anyway, i think ill be ordering it from www.svc.com because its like 6-7 bucks with free shipping, cheapest ive seen anywhere.

what model are the fans? ive been using Yate-Loons for a while and theyve been working great. $4 per fan, im happy. =)

You should buy the smallest window air conditioner you can find and bypass the core, run the freon straight through the CPU cooler. I wonder why people don't do that? Condensation issues?

I did see one guy who used a window unit to cool a water tank, and ran his hoses through it.. But why not skip the tank and bullshit, cut it down to size, and make a simple little cooler out of it?

Phyre, I'm having a hard time visualizing what you are talking about. Run the freon through a water block? Condensation is def a big concern when you get sub ambient temps. And If I have your idea right them people already do it. They insulate the shit out of their mb and hoses and essentially have an air conditioner cooling just the processor. You can get temps under like -100C

You should buy the smallest window air conditioner you can find and bypass the core, run the freon straight through the CPU cooler. I wonder why people don't do that? Condensation issues?

I did see one guy who used a window unit to cool a water tank, and ran his hoses through it.. But why not skip the tank and bullshit, cut it down to size, and make a simple little cooler out of it?

why not just cool it with liquid nitrogen or helium? oh wait they do it already :p.

if im understanding right, you mean a swamp cooler? and then attach it to the cpu block? that would be interesting but as op mentioned, condensation is a huge issue so thats why when the do subzero cooling, its only for benchmarking and the motherboard is puddied up with rubber stuff.

ive seen some other crazy stuff like filling the case with veggie oil and running everything passive minus the one fan cooling the veggie oil.

any rate, i think water cooling is the "safest, easiest and most trouble-free" way of "extreme-cooling" at the moment. i know a few companies are working on phase-change units, but those are huge, expensive and not reliable. not to mentioned almost all the ones ive seen are very limited production runn'ed one of units.

well im kinda upset. the fittings i ordered dont work. i got some regular dtek fittings. they are the right thread and size, but they have too much thread and bottom out before sealing. grrr need to get new fittings now. i was hoping to have the loop filled and bleeding by now.

i did get the card and water block though.

There are phase change CPU coolers on the market- most are just really expensive. I might build one someday, but sealing out the condensation is an issue.

pics! these drives in raid are ridiculous. installed win7 ultimate 64bit in 8:45. not bad :)

IMG_0035.JPG

IMG_0036.JPG

IMG_0037.JPG

now reinstalling everything...

after some tweaking on the raid array:
Untitled21.jpg

they are retarded fast. about 500MB/s. writes are low for a SSD, but its typical for the Intel drives. with everything installed it will do a lot more reads than writes. i just wish TRIM was supported on RAID arrays, or that GC was supported on Intel drives at all.

Pretty sweet. In a couple years when it's time to upgrade again I will probably go to SSDs, hopefully by then the prices will come down some.

yea, they are expensive. i got a great deal on one, thats the reason i got 2 for raid. plus i needed the space for all my games and apps. 80gb wouldnt cut it. if prices go down enough, i may add more to the array in the future, more space and more speed :)

Back