upgrade fuel pump?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

DelSlo

just had a quick question wanted to ask some of the guys here who have tuned boosted honda's, im runnin a B16A2 with 9 lbs of boost comin out of a T3, T4 hybrid, with a compressor a/r of .60. im runnin 440 cc injectors and a stock fuel rail and FPR.

im puttin this all together now. and im gonna get it all set up and put the del sol on a car trailer and trailer it over to the Tuner shop. now if i need a pump i need a pump. but my first question being, do i NEED it for that kind of boost to be tuned properly?? i geuss while im at it. do i NEED an aftermarket FPR for the same reason?

thanx!

Paul

I believe it IS recommended to get a bigger/more volume fuel pump when you go turbo, the more power you make, the more you would need a bigger fuel pump.

the stock pump can't handel the volume you will need up top. 350cc is about the largest injector you can get away with SAFELY on the stock pump.
for a $90 part, its not worth avoiding installing it. get the walbro 255lph. you don't need the 255lph hp. the high pressure model will be overkill.

stock fuel pressure regulator is fine...

IMO, the only need to change that out is if you are running a very large injector, like 1000 cc, that don't function properly because they react too slow at lower rail pressures.

thank you very much guys, i will purchase one of those bad boys this aftenoon. is it an inline pump or is it a replacement for the in tank pump???

brian, i was layin down 320whp with 550cc injects on my teg, with no problems. im going to shoot for 400whp stock fuel pump. i made 293 with my d series also with a stock vx fuel pump. i am not so sure it is definatley needed.

bah to a fuel pump.

you're nuts. lol

the stock fuel pump flows something like 125 lph or something like that i think
on a stock 240cc injector.

double your injector... 480
double your pump... 250

so 440s and a 255 should work great :p

ok, so it doesn't coorelate at all... lol

i dunno... for the cost, its not worth the risk imo.

brian, i like to live on the edge.... i thinki mat run a stock pump flow restrictor.... but honestly, i have never ever had issues with a stock honda pump, as long as its in solid operating shape...

ill be driving proof 400whp can and will be made on a stock acura pump with 156k on it...
:mrgreen:

no i just dont like spending money on shit that i dont need.

f it aint broke dont fix it.

also, for 9 psi... this kid 100 percent, will not need a fuel pump.

sometimes its better to be safe than sorry.....

haha well i already ordered the pump. it cost me 180 bucks canadian. if bought off ebay i would save 10 bucks and id have to wait a while to get it. anyways. im gonna pull the tank before i take my goliath of a tool box back over to my dealership. but i know on some teggies and civics you can go through the trunk, before i pull up all my stereo and trunk mat, anyone know if there is a spot to get to the sending up through the trunk! im thinking no but im hoping yes! :p

on an ef...you need to drop the tank....if you have a 92+ you can get to it by removing a plate under the back seats....

Quoted post[/post]]
you're nuts. lol

the stock fuel pump flows something like 125 lph or something like that i think
on a stock 240cc injector.

double your injector... 480
double your pump... 250

so 440s and a 255 should work great :p

ok, so it doesn't coorelate at all... lol

i dunno... for the cost, its not worth the risk imo.

Over the past week I've been looking into upgrading my fuel feed and FPR to an Aeromotive setup. While doing all this I found some really good info on www.aeromotiveinc.com under the tech section. I learned that when you increase fuel pressure you actually are lowering the amount of fuel your pump flows.

According to Aeromotive here is what you would get for fuel pump volume on the following setups:

Nat. Aspirated, 43.5psi fuel system pressure and 13.5v, pump volume 614lbs/hr. 1,228 HP @ .5 BSFC
20psi boost w/1:1 Regulator, 60psi fuel pressure and 13.5v, pump volume 529lbs/hr. 881 HP @ .6 BSFC

If the pump rating for the stock GSR pump is 125lph at stock fuel pressure, then you can imagine what it would be under boost. If I used the same 14% pumping loss used in Aeromotives figure then under 20 psi of boost you went from a 125 lph flow rate to a 105 lph flow rate. Not sure if the amount of fuel flow loss is accurate, but you get the idea. Increasing the amount of boost pressure in the manifold and FPR system decreases the amount of fuel your pump can flow. Another thing that affects fuel flow is the voltage going to the pump itself. Anything that would cause a voltage drop in the wiring (IE wiring too small, bad connections, etc) will also lower the amount of fuel the pump can flow. This is not really a concern for the guys running 190-255lph pumps, but for the guys that want to try squeezing more out of their stock pumps it is a big concern.

A walbro 255 would definitely be overkill, and if you do opt for that path there's no reason not to get a walbro 255 hp; same price, but will flow a significant amount more at higher pressures.

I'm unfamiliar with stock honda FPRs, but if a 255hp does not require an aftermarket AFPR to lower fuel pressure back to stock, then go for that.

If this isn't the case however, the dsm 450cc injectors at 100% IDC are recorded as needing 108 LPH of flow at 100% IDC. In this case, something flowing about 130 LPH at 43 psi fuel pressure (such as the stock 2g DSM fuel pump) would be enough, especially if you're only running 9 psi since at 58 psi (15 psi boost) it's registered to flow just under 100 LPH.

Back