Upgrading ignition

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

adnoh

Hey guy's.

Theoretical situation....

Let say I have a Chevy S10 or something like that..... whatever car. I upgrade the distrubutor, coil, plug wires and colder plugs with MSD stuff. On a stock engine, is this going to net me any gains on a dyno? Like even 1 whp?

Thanks.

If the old system was garbage, sure maybe a couple, as now the motor will be running more efficiently.

Originally posted by 92b16vx@Sep 10 2005, 02:17 PM
If the old system was garbage, sure maybe a couple, as now the motor will be running more efficiently.
[post=552352]Quoted post[/post]​

What about a totally brand new motor?

I upgraded the whole system (sans ignition controller) on my car with all new MSD stuff, and an external coil - an I noticed a difference at the top end.

I could see a top end increase in power as the sprak plugs would be able to throw more effiecient spark, especially with a MSD unit. I believe that it the benefit of MSD.

Originally posted by jimboburgess@Sep 15 2005, 05:11 PM
I could see a top end increase in power as the sprak plugs would be able to throw more effiecient spark, especially with a MSD unit. I believe that it the benefit of MSD.
[post=555136]Quoted post[/post]​

Maybe, but i doubt he would see anything noticeable over stock as he is not adding more air & fuel to go along with the increase in spark.

Someone on one of these threads a while back said that someone he knew had put an MSD full system on a fully built 300 or so whp civic, and netted like 3 hp. So it's probably not worth it unless you have a massively tuned motor, and even then it's questionable.

Originally posted by confusatron@Sep 15 2005, 08:09 PM
Someone on one of these threads a while back said that someone he knew had put an MSD full system on a fully built 300 or so whp civic, and netted like 3 hp. So it's probably not worth it unless you have a massively tuned motor, and even then it's questionable.
[post=555217]Quoted post[/post]​

It all depends on your setup.

If you have upgraded your car so that you currently are forcing in much more fuel/air than the stock ignition can adequately burn, then you WILL need a more powerfull ignition to get the most out of your car.

For instance, a B18C with I/H/E, Toda B's (w/cam sprockets), thin head gasked, upgraded fuel system (rail/pump/pres-reg/etc), and running tuned Hondata S100 or S200 (no boost) would probably benefit from running an MSD ignition - symply because it is able to produce enough spark to burn the new air/fuel being ingested.

wouldnt it be better to just run a external coil and keep the stock ignitor? most of the threads ive read dont recommend using a aftermarket ignition system unless youre going boost or very high compression.

Back