Upgrading Memory

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

reckedracing

TTIWWOP
VIP
About 5-6 months ago I bought a desktop for my job.
Acer T135 with XP Home and 256mb. Server needed XP Pro to work so we installed XP Pro with only 256 mb and the computer sucks balls

I'm trying to figure out what configuration I can run on this motherboard.
Currently it has one 256MB DDR 400 MHz, PC3200U
I was looking for opinions on what to add.
I was thinking 1gig. Overkill? Waste?

The mobo is k8vm800mae, from what I've found it looks like it can take 2gb total.
so adding 1gb should be fine right?

1GB is never overkill!

yes, you will be fine. hit me up on PM, i may have a 512MB stick i could let go for cheap cheap.

thanks for the offer but i need to upgrade 2 desktops
i was just gonna hit up newegg for 2 GB sticks and be done with it.

would a "productivity" computer be better off with value memory, or higher end?
i was thinking ocz for the brand

so i ran the crucial scan on my motherboard which has one 1gb and one 256 and it says my max is 512 per slot, and its showing 576mb and 256mb, but when i go view my system info it says 1,277,284 kb RAM

can anyone advise?

AcerPanAm.com/us

according to acer's website, it goes up to 2gb also. i bet the bios is giving the scan a false read.

anyway, just get the cheapest sticks you can find. there is no difference between performance ram and value when youre not overclocking or anything special, especially with your setup.

if you browse around or if you have a fry's, i see 1gb sticks for like 30-40 bucks ish. and with xp, id stick with 1gb (sweet spot) if u dont need to game or do ram intensive stuff like lots of photoshopping or something like that.

Back