US gov't to mandate tire pressure monitors

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

eh, might give you a chance to get to a repair facility before the tire goes dead flat and you're stuck changing it on the side of the road...

Originally posted by reckedracing@Apr 7 2005, 02:00 PM
eh, might give you a chance to get to a repair facility before the tire goes dead flat and you're stuck changing it on the side of the road...
[post=484258]Quoted post[/post]​

true, but i dont think it will help that much. Its just a way for big companies to make more money imo. I can understand where it helps the concerned car lover. Then you got the lazy assholes who like to procrastinate. all in all i say that new sensor stupid.

when i got a flat tire in my 00 Grand Am GT that damn tire pressure light NEVER turned on.

i dunno mang

i wouldn;t mind having it on all my cars...

it would be nice to know if there's a drop in tire pressure...
imagine going down the thruway/freeway at 80+ miles per hour which is normal speed...
it would be a lot nicer to know about any change in tire pressure before you heard/felt the bumping and thumping associated with a flat tire

the gov't mandating it is a bit much, but i'm thinking of getting this for my cars...
anyone who's ever had to change a tire with traffic flying by at 80 mph would have appreciated a little heads up before hand...

and it sucks when you get a simple hole in your tire but then it gets destroyed cause it got cut between the road and rim...

my tire got chewed up because i didnt feel it until it was too late. And my tire had that sensor. I wouln't mind having the heads up either. I just hope they dont add a couple hundred bucks to the retail price due to the sensor. If the vehicle price stays the same i'd buy it.

oh, i thought you were joking
lol

grand am's really have those sensors?

:shrug2:

i'll never buy a new car anyway so let em jack up the price :)
not sure it can viably go much higher but apparently debt is in these days...

my probe was the worst with flats... you could NEVER feel a rear flat, ever...

I hope it doesn't try and limit performance when the sensor goes off. That would be anoying to be unable to lower your PSI for drag-racing. Oh shit, I can't make my run, my car is limited to 6k RPM....that would suck <_<

Oh yeah, and what if you want aftermarket wheels???

The government said underinflated tires hurt a vehicle's fuel economy and can increase stopping distances, increase likelihood of tire failure and lead to skidding on wet surfaces.

wtf? Shouldn't the increased patch size of the tire INCREASE braking performance? and shouldn't it also give BETTER grip on wet surfaces? :blink:

new cras = abs...
underinflated with abs = bad...
most likely harder to control too

larger surface area = more likely to hydroplane in water...

My dads Grand Am has the tire pressure light, and when he went from factory to aftermarket tires, he was running a higher PSI because of the upgraded tire, and his damn light is on 24/7

Originally posted by wanderinman@Apr 7 2005, 05:26 PM
My dads Grand Am has the tire pressure light, and when he went from factory to aftermarket tires, he was running a higher PSI because of the upgraded tire, and his damn light is on 24/7
[post=484390]Quoted post[/post]​

at least yours works. Mine let me chew up my tire <_< In the middle of the fucking highway. I had to drive the flat side on the grass area because no one would stop and i didnt have acell phone.........dont say i should have walked cuz in that time of day and the heat! whooooogh. by the way my GA GT sucked mokey balls. And the parts for those things are expensive as hell. Plus they are slow. I had the v6 ram air GT. I looked coll and the chicks loved it. but it sucked as far as performance.
My chick hates my rex and its not all that smooth riding nor looking, but its fucking fast,and thats all that matters in my book.

i don't think many girls like crx's...

they like $$$, and cars that cost a lot of $$$
like sti's... right B? :D

ram air doesn't do dick till over 80mph, or so i have read...
and auto grand am tranny's suck balls

Originally posted by reckedracing@Apr 7 2005, 05:42 PM
i don't think many girls like crx's...

they like $$$, and cars that cost a lot of $$$
like sti's... right B? :D

ram air doesn't do dick till over 80mph, or so i have read...
and auto grand am tranny's suck balls
[post=484398]Quoted post[/post]​

:lol: :lol: :lol: yeah you right. i got mine up to 122 mph. And got caught doing 100+ on my way home from Orlando. They are comfortable and look pretty good. My girl loved it,ahhh great memories ;) road head, midnight stops B)

back to the topic. Im all for it as long as they dont raise the drastically the price. For all you people with enough money to buy one knock yourself out. I'm sticking to my CRX until i buy a faster and better looking USED car.

YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
more gay ass fucking computers in cars to compensate for fucking retards not knowing how to drive / maintain their fucking vehicles
out fucking standing

I think it's a good idea, especially because I see way too many trucks and SUVs driving with half-flat tires, then trying to pull crazy maneuvers... it'll keep the retards from rolling their trucks and crashing into me. Keeping Darwin from taking them away might be a negative point though.... :lol:

Originally posted by reckedracing+Apr 7 2005, 02:41 PM-->
it would be a lot nicer to know about any change in tire pressure before you heard/felt the bumping and thumping associated with a flat tire
[post=484320]Quoted post[/post]​

Hopefully you would be a good enough driver to be able to feel the difference between optimum inflation and a few psi below...

ktanaka
@Apr 7 2005, 04:14 PM
wtf? Shouldn't the increased patch size of the tire INCREASE braking performance? and shouldn't it also give BETTER grip on wet surfaces? :blink:
[post=484383]Quoted post[/post]​

Yes, but an underinflated tire doesn't always increase contact patch size- it changes the shape, and you're almost always not making full contact with the rubber that you think is on the ground when you don't have enough air in your tires. Imagine changing the contact patch from a nice round disc into a narrow donut- that's what underinflation does to your tire.

Originally posted by reckedracing@Apr 7 2005, 08:05 PM
i got mine up to 122 mph. And got caught doing 100+ on my way home from Orlando.

thats pretty quick... hope your brakes are good...

and got caught? 100+??? by whom?
you go to jail??
[post=484465]Quoted post[/post]​

i got caught by a senior FHP. He wrote me down for 99. He gave me a break i know. He said,'' you know if that was my daughter in the car with you i'd throw you in jail.'' He was pretty nice though. I know it was stupid what i did and am not proud of it. I was in a hurry and wasn't thinking. :(

its for the stupid SUVs that are taking over the roads. because people are retarded and lazy or are to stupid to learn how to check tire pressures and adjust them once in a while so your good for nothing gas hog of an SUV flips over while your bringing your son to soccer practice. and guess whos fault it is when the little soccer player dies. . . the car companies, because we have the technology to monitor tire pressures. take some responsibilty for yourselves idiots. oh you thought reading the owners manual of a 5 or 6 thousand lbs truck was a waste of time. well i bet the soccer team would feel a little different after they lost the championship game cause you didn't check your tire pressures.

i hope gas prices do go up to 4.00 or 5.00 bucks next year. hopefully it will get some of these people out of there SUVs when they realize all they really need is a subaru outback, and not a fucking excersion.

honda has it on a few cars now. its a wireless system but has nothing to do with engine managment. if you put aftermarket wheels on (like the odessey i put new snow tires and rims on) the radio frequency of the sensors when out of range will leave the light off.

^^^ lol, thats pretty cool...

Hopefully you would be a good enough driver to be able to feel the difference between optimum inflation and a few psi below...

hmm, i guess it depends on your suspension setup, roads, and tire series...
i won't feel a few psi in my truck...
and the same goes for low profile tires...

maybe i'm just not a good enough driver :(

Back