USDM H23A1 swap with JDM H23A : Engine will not start!!

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Sureshot

Had some questions regarding a swap I just completed. First off ....it is a 1992 Honda Prelude originally equipped with a H23A1.

I looked around and settled on doing a swap of something equal yet clean ......The JDM H23A seemed like a simple choice.

Converted some of the USDM components such as:

Distributor
Fuel Rail
Ignition Coil
New Knock Sensor
IACV
Oil Pressure Sensor
Thermostat housings w/sensors
Compressor Mount
Power steering pump w/mount

Everything went together easy and I reinstalled the new H23A . With the new engine I put a slew of new parts on :

Water Pump
Timing Belt/Balancer Belt
Tensioners
Crankshaft seal, Camshaft seals, Main Seal, Balancer shaft seal
Timing cover w/seals
Oil Pan w/Gasket
Oil filter
O2 sensor
Air Intake Sensor
Ignition Wires
Spark plugs
Alternator belt
Power Steering belt
Valve Cover seals/gaskets w/PCV valve
Transmision back-up switch
Axel seals
Flywheel
Clutch w/pressure plate
Drive Axels
Main Relay

After two weeks of building.......The engine will not start. It tries and sputters as if it will, but only dissappoints.

I have checked most of the common items......It is right on with TDC. Has spark to all cylinders. Gas at the fuel rail. All fuses are good.

Want some pointers on how to get this going!!!

Thanks !

Attachments

• P1160027 (Large).JPG
    P1160027 (Large).JPG
    142.2 KB · Views: 12,142
its most likely to be the timing...sounds like something isnt lined up properly. tdc crank,balance shafts lined up correctly,both cams at tdc #1 piston stroke,distributor lined up(rotor pointing to #1 plug) it should fire right up and run smooth,then adjust the distrubutor timing until its in spec. if it sputters and runs like crap ar doesnt start at all,something is retard in the timing(make sure its not a fuel delivery issue 1st),a bad ground, or a bad ecu. hope this helps.

Back