USDM H23A1 to JDM H23A

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Twiztidh0b0

My H23A1 engine blew, and I'm searching to buy a new engine. So far I can only find A JDM H23A for the cheapest price. I'm new to swapping engines, and I am wondering exactly what I'll have to change in order to make the new engine function properly. I've been searching but haven't found an easy step-by-step guide. Any help would be appreciated

i looked at the same swap. it would be differant than most other swaps.....but diff does not always mean better. i would just swap a JDM H22 in there. the JDM H23 VTEC'S where never made here only over seas. they are the blue top engines. they may a a few more horses but they are also heavy. so IMO you should just go with a H22. also what are you plans with this engine?

Sorry to mention, but let me be more specific. I have a 96 Lude Si with an obd2 H23a1 engine, and I purchased (before realizing he 96 was obd2) an H23a3 obd 1 non vtech engine (which was advertised as a JDM h23A). Now I don't know what to do about the camshaft sensor. Has anyone done this, and can tell me what to switch over?

Lots of questions for engine swap from a beginer!

Hi all,
First I apologize if I'm not doing this right. I'm totally new here on the forum and totally new with Honda's.
I recently got a Honda,I love my car it works great, but has an SOHC VTEC in it and I would like to put a DOHC VTEC in there. Not for racing or anything just to drive everyday and keep it as stock as possible. It would be more of a project to me to learn about more Honda's and experience different things. So I did my research to see what were my possibilities as far as engines that could fit my Accord, lots of info out there, I already learn quite a bit thanks to all the forums and all. But I seem to get more and more confused in all the technical terms and different infos I read and different cases out there. I know I'm doing a lot of talking here but I'm sure a lot of poeple are in the same situation and the more I talk and ask questions, the more it's clear and helpful to everyone.

So I got a 1998 Honda Accord 4 door sedam LX with F23A1 engine ( 2.3L SOHC VTEC) I wanted to put an H23A (2.3L DOHC VTEC with blue top) as from what I understand was used in the JDM (Japanese Domestic Market) of the same generation (1998-02) Japanese Accord Wagon SiR.

I thought it would be just a simple (kinda) replacement but obviously I read about a lot of problems with fault codes, ECU, EGR and many more. I'm a future diesel tech, so I know a little bit of what all these are even though I thought EGR weren't use in spark ignited engines.
Anyway, it seems most JDM engines are sold with their original ECUs so why all these troubles? From what I understand the ECU runs the engine and flashes a light on the dash if problems. If it's the original ECU then all it needs is power supply, and the ignition switch to crank the starter and it should run fine. The engine is connected to the ECU through all the sensors, and the ECU to the vehicle just for the dash board. Right? Of course the wire harnesses and connectors from ECU to the vehicle need to be compatible. But it should have the right programs and setting for the engine if were using the original ECU for the replacement engine which most of the time comes with it.
So I guess all I've said bring me to:
- Is it possible to pretty much get an JDM H23A DOHC VTEC engine of the 98-02's with it's original ECU, fit it into my Accord and to my current stock 5speed transmission plug everything back where it is supposed to be, plug the ECU the the vehicle, and run it?
- If not, why?
- What DOHC VTEC engine would allow me to do so?
- Where could I get more info?

Well, I think that's all for now. Thank you for reading, I know this is long and more talking than needed probably but I hope this will also be helpful to a lot of other people.
Thank you for you time, thank you for your help.

Back