USDM sh-type to JDM w/lsd swap questions

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

xxlegionsxx

I posted this on hondahookup and got no responses, so I want to see if I fair better here:

I ordered a h22a with lsd from jdmsource.ca today. They seem to have a good rep online and were really nice to talk to. They say they'll be e-mailing me pics before they ship it (not sure what that accomplishes, but it's a nice gesture). I have a friend of a friend that's going to do the install for $300, not including the wiring, which I'd rather do myself (I'm good with electronics - figure it can't be that much worse than modding an 1.6 xbox).

So here's my NEW set of questions:
1) the physical install should be no problem for this mechanic guy. Engine mounts are the same, no space issues right? It's going from a USDM 97 sh-type (h22a4 engine and m2u4 tranny w/ATTS) to a JDM h22a with m2b4 (w/lsd).

2) The wiring shouldn't be too bad (OBDII p5p to OBDI p13) using this link http://www.preludeonline.com/showthread.php?t=74554 as a guide. Any pitfalls I should avoid, specifically anything that has to be done BEFORE the engine goes in the car?

3) I think I'll need to rewire the distributor. I can't find the link right now, but I need to move the CKP and TDC wires from where they were at the crank of the h22a4 to the distributor of the h22a, I think (I'll be using the JDM distributor and injectors). Any other wires that need moving?

4) What about axles? I don't think the new motor is shipping with axles, and my old ones are kind of going anyhow. I am really lost on what axles to get. I know what kind to get if it was going into a 96 accord, but I don't think that'll help. I also know that the axles are different from a sh-type to non sh-type prelude, so I imagine that they're different from a JDM w/lsd.

Thanks for the response, if anyone does. I am having trouble finding any info on this type of install. Must be that sh-type preludes stay sh-type preludes? Either that or maybe the install is so easy no one bothers writing about it, in which case I'm worrying about nothing.

Last edited:
or we get the ATTS unit based Type SiR engine from Japan....once ATTS you pretty much have to either rip it all out, make your own custom mount to relocated the axles if reusing the Type S engine only, but you are using the M2B4....soooo, other than wiring it all up to your P13 and Hondata....right? you should be good to go....but I would follow all of those instructions on PO and mayvbe take a look over at NTPOG.org and see if they have anything to offer

Thanks for the response. I actually already put in an h22a with the m2b4 tranny w/lsd. It wasn't too bad. A little wiring (mostly the distributor), and I swapped the oil pan for clearance issues with the exhaust. I saw the type S had ATTS (not the SiR - right?), but it was like a solid grand more wherever I looked. It would be nice to have the extra power, but I couldn't justify the extra cash. As far as the axles, they sent me the pair that came with motor and they happened to work. The only real problem is the downpipe is barely touching the oil pan still. It's better since I've swapped the oil pan from the sh-type, but is still a little short.

Back