Used bike?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

reckedracing

TTIWWOP
VIP
Local shop has one of these for 400 but I can get it for 350.
I believe it's a 1997 fuji suncrest sx Easton aluminum frame, upgraded components, front and rear light, some sort of double wall rims and hybrid tires. I know nothing about bikes. Seems a bit steep for an old bike but it did retail for 1100 back in the day so it might be worth something?

If you plan on riding regularly, definitely splurge on something nice. I'm glad I spent more than I originally intended on spending. Love my bicycle.

Jeffie mentioned a great point. Fit is very very important. Year before last I rode a yard sale find was close to being way to small. It was fine for my 4 mile commute to work but when I tried to stretch it out to 10 or more miles my neck was killing me. I was wildly inefficient on it as well. And defining exactly what you want to do on a bike will help a lot too.

i'm going to take jeffie's advice and go get fitted for a new bike
i plan to use it for 20+ mile rides, mainly for the cardiovascular exercise
i managed 23.5 miles on saturday on my old murray and feel its time to upgrade
most of the good brands have starter models in the 400-500 range so i'm going to go to a few shops and see what they have to offer.

Good idea! Make sure you go on plenty of test rides. Try out some road bikes too if you plan on sticking to the roads or multi-use paths. Assuming it is legal in your area to ride a bike on them that is.

I've got an old Gary Fischer aluminum frame, great bike! The front rock shocks need to be rebuilt though..

My wife has a specialized, the thing is a tank.

Personally I wouldn't buy a new bike in the $500 range. I'd look for a year or two old model and spend $500 on $800-1000 bike. New bikes in the $500 range kind of suck. Once you replace all the chit parts you'll have the cost of a $1000 bike but in a bike only worth $500.

Used bikes are great options. Just try to keep it current or if older make sure it has current components. Good wheels, good hub, good brakes...

If you go with a cross country/mountain bike don't get cable disc brakes. They suck.

I just picked up a 2009 Giant Cypress, "old man" bike. Medium 19" Frame.
Upright riding position takes the stress off my shoulder. I borrowed one last weekend from my uncle and put 20 miles on it on Saturday and it felt pretty comfortable.
It was on CL for $250 but after I showed the guy how much they cost new, I was able to get him down to $175 before I went to see it, and picked it up for $150.
Aluminum Frame
Front Suspension Fork
Comfort Seat with spring loaded seat post
Rear Shimano Altus
Front Shimano C101
SR Suntour Pedals
Kenda Rubber
Grip Shift Max shifters

Here is what it looked like new...
Cypress-Black_Gray.jpg

Attachments

• Cypress Front Gear Set.jpg
    Cypress Front Gear Set.jpg
    727 KB · Views: 177
  • Cypress L.jpg
    Cypress L.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 225
  • Cypress Pedals.jpg
    Cypress Pedals.jpg
    803.8 KB · Views: 170
  • Cypress R.jpg
    Cypress R.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 239
  • Cypress Rear Gear Set.jpg
    Cypress Rear Gear Set.jpg
    879.7 KB · Views: 197
That looks exactly like what you needed for your use and previous injury. You spent exactly what you should have, too.

That is one hell of a seat you got there. :/

WTB-Speed-V-Comp-Saddle.jpg

My seat for reference.

WTB rocks btw. I wrecked my bike really bad causing me to bend my wheels and twisted/bent my seat badly as with other things. I called them to see if they had a crash replacement program. A real person answered the phone, no bs press 1 for... And she took care of me. Asked for a picture to show damage and fired off a new seat to me at the crash replacement price.

Wish I could have found their wheel sets locally but no go :(

Yeah a less padded seat can prevent some numbness issues. If there is to much it will press on the channel where all of your nerves and arteries run through causing discomfort or even numbing. I never though I would use a thinly padded seat on a bike but you do get used to if. Just have to toughen the sit bones up a bit.

That's why its important you wear padded shorts/singlet. Took me only 3 rides this year to be able to sit on my bike comfortably over 20 miles. Usually its around 5 or6.

Back