Used engine break-in period

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

seanjuan

what do people think about breaking in used engines. I have read alot of different things. what is the main reason that used engines need to be broken in?

I've got 200mi on my JDM B16 now and I just want to know if I should keep following the 3k, 3.5k, 4k etc break-in schedule or if I should just open it up and have fun with it

let's hash this subject out a bit, what have you with swaps done and what do you know works and doesn't work

If you didn't rebuild it when you received it, don't worry about breaking it in. Just make sure you replaced the necessary things, like oil, oil filter, plugs, etc.

What I would do is just change the oil about 500 miles after you instal, just to get all of the old crap in there (since the engine normally has been sitting for 3 plus months.)

Originally posted by asmallsol@Jul 28 2003, 08:12 AM
What I would do is just change the oil about 500 miles after you instal, just to get all of the old crap in there (since the engine normally has been sitting for 3 plus months.)

:werd:

so as long as it is just a straight up used engine, no rebuild etc.
I shouldn't have to worry about breaking it in?

it was drained of all fluids when I got it, so it has brand new oil and new filter right now. I took it easy on the first 200 or so miles and upped the revs a little since 200 and was planning on changing to oil around 500 or 600, should I change the filter as well, or wait till a few k to change the filter?

the whole reason for engine breakin is to set the piston rings, correct? this is why I was wondering since it is a used engine then the rings should allready be set. but since I don't know how long the engine was sitting unused it is probably good to take it easy for a little while just to get the oil worked around again?

thanks guys
I just don't want to F up my $2500 engine by being an idiot

Originally posted by asmallsol@Jul 28 2003, 08:12 AM

That's it man. Oil and filter after 500. Otherwise, you're good to go.

sounds good
I didn't really want to have to drive the thing like my grandma anymore.

I'll have a little fun with it on the way home from work today now
in fact maybe I'll drive somewhere and get lunch

I'm pumped to see what this thing can do

I would replace all fluids, motor oil, tranny oil, coolant, brake/clutch fluid. Like someone posted above, after 500 miles. I always make sure I put in all new gaskets, belts, and pumps.

Milan

I guess I could see replacing fluids that actually go in the motor, but why replace brake and clutch fluid? maybe i'm just not too engine savvy yet

thanks for the replies, very much appreciated

if I'm right then the vtec point for this ecu should be around 5600? it's a jdm P30
should I be able to feel a noticeable difference when vtec kicks in?
I think I'm going to hook an led up to the vtec lead to see if it's at least sending a signal to the solenoid

5500, and it maybe very smooth to the point that you don't really "feel" it, but you should notice some acceleration.

it deffinately pulls harder as the rpm's rise, I had just heard people talk about feeling a noticable jump in power when vtec engages

at like 4200 my engine jerks quite a bit in power and I don't even have vtec. It's just due to the cliff-like hp curve most hondas have

If you feel a kick from VTEC, your actiavtion point should be changed. VTEC should be a smooth engagement.

cool, like I said before, I think my project tonight will be to make a ghetto vtec light just to make sure it's getting a signal
is there a way to check the solonoid to make sure it works right?

Back