Used turbo or New turbo ? Help!

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

well I mean like I said, if cast iron is less prone to cracking and I can get that for a similar price then i would think that would be a better way to go

and if it flows better would it be worth it to get something like that and weld some braces on it or just go with a log style cast iron manifold and be done with it...

It depends on your goal. If you just want cheap and reliable with a nice bump in hp/tq go with the log. If you have dreams of a lot of power the log may not cut it for you.

thats what I figured and like I said I saw cast iron for the same amount of money but what about turbo&auto said...my goal is probably between 200-300 i know thats a big range but anywhere in that area...will a log cut it for that?

there should be support brackets welded to the runners and the base when you hang the heavy turbo on it with the extreme heat of an exhaust manifold, with the stresses of a bouncy sporty ride, it puts too much pressure on the thin waals of the bends. the fact that theres welds for the real sharp angles will add integrity, but i see it failing on one or both of the middle runners

thats what I figured and like I said I saw cast iron for the same amount of money but what about turbo&auto said...my goal is probably between 200-300 i know thats a big range but anywhere in that area...will a log cut it for that?

dude, youre good for double that w/ a cast mani. i couldnt possibly see the design of a log mani being the factor thats holding your power back on a sub-400hp street car.

Ive read logs are good for up to 350hp. I said IF he had dreams of BIG power get the tubular manifold.

Even if log manifolds have put down more than that, a tubular "ram horn" manifold will still out flow and cast iron one.

so for my goals which one would be better..the log style or a "ram horn"... even though the ram horn will out flow a cast iron one from what you say do I really need a "ram horn"or would it be that much better for me?

make sure you figure that out in conjunction with the turbo and wastegate your going to run.

external wastegate = exhaust mani with wastegate port before the turbo flange. internal wastegate = no port in the exhaust mani for a wastegate. you can also make an internally gated turbo an external wastegate by welding the flapper shut and removing the actuator.

i myself am planning on using a ram style, with external wastegate. looks really nice and flows super well, and is optimized for high rpm, which is where my B16 loves to be anyway

Last edited:
i myself am planning on using a ram style, with external wastegate. looks really nice and flows super well, and is optimized for high rpm, which is where my B16 loves to be anyway

MJ93Hatchback, a ram horn would be a good choice if you think there may be a possibilty that in the future you will want more power than you want right now. YBLEGAL pointed out that he plans on using a ram horn because of their high rpm performance. Honda engines make power through RPM, a lil food for thought.

yeah I can dig that...but the ram horn manifolds look like their made out of steel so wouldn't that be more prone for cracking...also this info might help...Since this is going to be my everyday driving car I was prob. just gonna boost anywhere from 7-9 psi, something in that area..with only boosting that little would it matter rather I go with cast iron or Steel?

ok realize exhausts are made of steel. you sort of caught the ebay warning the wrong way. most ebay manifold that are made of steel, are made of reallly crappy steel, with crappy welds. this is why they are prone to breaking. if you buy something like a 304 stainless steel exhaust manifold like this one: Slowboy Racing, Inc. :: DSM :: Exhaust :: Manifolds / Headers :: DNP :: DNP SS Tubular Exhaust Manifold w/ Tial 38 WG Flange (my buddy ran that one for a while with no issue untill he had to upgrade to a larger flow for his new larger turbo, and my other buddy will continue it's use), with tig welds, you'll be just fine!

yeah that looks real nice, but there is no way I can afford a $600 dollar manifold...but what I need to look for is 304 stainless steel? or is there another type that is stong as well...

yup. my suggestion is, since your looking to save money, find a good name brand one used. regardless of what style or material your choose. if you really want to buy new, i say look at the name brand ones of similar design and research the materials and processes they use to make it, then I would only buy if the genaric manifold was the same.

fyi, buddy 1, who ran that mani first, found it on ebay for 300 bucks, because some dude bought it for his 4G63 and sold the car before it arrived, so he had no use for it. look for sweet deals such as these!

(my buddy ran that one for a while with no issue untill he had to upgrade to a larger flow for his new larger turbo, and my other buddy will continue it's use), with tig welds, you'll be just fine![/quote]

TIG welding is for aluminum.

(my buddy ran that one for a while with no issue untill he had to upgrade to a larger flow for his new larger turbo, and my other buddy will continue it's use), with tig welds, you'll be just fine!

TIG welding is for aluminum.[/quote]

ya well, look at the link

and i quote:
This unit is welded from 304 thick wall stainless steel. The unit is fully tig welded for superior construction as well as longevity.

Back