Used turbo or New turbo ? Help!

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

yeah i suppose it's possible some have a flange drilled for both... like ebay turbo's or something... but the garret's i've seen are classified like that.

check out their direct line up. once you learn to read compressor maps, it'll be like someone turned on a light switch in your head :)

TurboByGarrett.com - Turbochargers

I built one of my setups for 1000 bucks. It's possible, but you're not gonna have the best of the best. Which personally, I don't think is necessary anyway.

If you have any questions list them, I don't want to re-read this thread again.

Used Garrett 42/48, rebuilt it myself, upgraded the compressor housing to a .60

Used Tial WG

Used HKS BOV, thing was a pos, so I ended up getting an el cheapo no name

Kteller pipes, they were cheaper when I did my setup.

I had a used log style manifold, it was name brand but I don't remember what brand.

Used Garrett 42/48, rebuilt it myself, upgraded the compressor housing to a .60

Used Tial WG

Used HKS BOV, thing was a pos, so I ended up getting an el cheapo no name

Kteller pipes, they were cheaper when I did my setup.

I had a used log style manifold, it was name brand but I don't remember what brand.

what kind of engine was this hooked up to, and what kinda number's were you putting up...( everything from 1/4 mile, to overall top speed)

LS, I never tried to top it out, I was in the low 13's, 253 HP

ACXN7RVTB8NSX6D.JPG
WXCWPWJ6NREYMTI.JPG

This was my piping, I think it only cost me like 60 bucks or so.

KNFCTPCTNN1GYP2.JPG

The turbo

DSSWQ1I2IYTAFY1.JPG

not too bad of a set up thats pretty good number's, i wouldn't mind having those, which maybe I could if i do everything I want to... so that's a garret 42/48, thats what kinda turbo it is, 42/48 it's not like t3 or anything?

Yea a garrett t3 .42/.48. But those numbers are with the upgraded housing. so technically it was a .60/.48

yup, a turbo is 2 peices forsay, a compressor housing and a turbine. the turbine is what the exhaust gas spin, and is connected via an axel to the compressor blades in the compressor housing.

So for the setup I will most likely be running with a 1.6 L a t3 with a lower compressor housing like 42./.48 would be better than a .60/.48?

The 42/48 is a good starter turbo, especially for a D series. It's small though. The advantage of a small turbo is quick spool, it's disadvantage is it will fall flat on it's face higher up in the powerband.

A 60/48 has more potential and will make more power, I don't think a 60/48 ever came on any car, you'd have to put it together yourself which is simple.

I'd recommend building a 60/48.

Sorry for going back a page, but avoid the OBX manifold. I bought one and it wasnt close to fitting!!!

right on right on...So then in yours (or anyone's) opinion whats the best brand of turbo for the money...I am most likely get a name brand like greddy, garrett, hks, or something or if anyone had other suggestions on a brand...but what would be the best bang for my buck ( so to speak)

Back