Used turbo or New turbo ? Help!

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

best bang for the buck is defenitely a used Garrett. Very common and easy to find since they were factory on so many cars and they come in so many different sizes so you a lot to choose from, also a lot of their parts are interchangeable with each other so you can make a turbo to your exact specs.

I was thinking that because I have seen A LOT of garrett turbo's and stuff when I do research on Turbo's...but I really thing (now this depends on a couple things) that I might wanna get a brand new turbo...unless I can find a good deal on a used on and it looks legit. I haven't done research on shaft play and what causes it and stuff but all I know is it's not good to have that. I know my mission seems near impossible to get a good reliable turbo without spending a hellacious load of money... It's just I know a lot of people are out to rip you off so I am kinda skeptical about buying a used turbo, since I was advised that turbo, manifold, and wastegate were the 3 things I shouldn't go but so cheap on, I was thinking well if I just buy new all of those I should be set. Any recommendations on where to possibly get a fairly used turbo without getting ripped off and is in good condition?

well i can tell you havnt actually looked at turbo's yet. t3/t4 is a term used for exhaust manifolds that have a flange capable of either. the flange on the turbo and the flange on the exhaust manifold both need to be considered. you can either buy a T3, or a T4 turbo. a T4 however, will be much too large for your engine. you'll need a T3. the T3 and T4 flanges differ, but only slightly, so the manifold can actually have holes drilled for both.

I understand your just tryin to help, but your info is slightly off. Your right T3 and T4 flanges differ, but the term T3/T4 turbo describes a specific turbo. Its called a hybrid because its one piece from two different turbos bolted togather to make one.

"The T3/T4 turbo is called a hybrid because it has the turbine housing of a Garrett T3, (the same turbo used on the 2.3L turbo Ford Mustangs), and the compressor housing of a Garrett T4. This combination of parts allows the T3/T4 to spool up quickly and while pumping a larger volume of air than a straight T3."

Heres a link with a small amount of info. Changing to a bigger turbocharger

Just tryin to clear up a misunderstanding. :)

I bought mine off of ebay.

Every turbo will eventually have some type of shaft play, it's the normal wear and tear, you could always buy a used one and rebuild it if you feel comfortable breaking down the turbo. It's easy, just has to be done right.

I bought my turbos off of ebay, but I rebuilt them. Someone will come up with a place to buy them.

I understand your just tryin to help, but your info is slightly off. Your right T3 and T4 flanges differ, but the term T3/T4 turbo describes a specific turbo. Its called a hybrid because its one piece from two different turbos bolted togather to make one.

"The T3/T4 turbo is called a hybrid because it has the turbine housing of a Garrett T3, (the same turbo used on the 2.3L turbo Ford Mustangs), and the compressor housing of a Garrett T4. This combination of parts allows the T3/T4 to spool up quickly and while pumping a larger volume of air than a straight T3."

Heres a link with a small amount of info. Changing to a bigger turbocharger

Just tryin to clear up a misunderstanding. :)

yea. deffinatly true. i was focusing more on the flange types, didnt think about that. thanks for clearin that up. :p

I bought mine off of ebay.

Every turbo will eventually have some type of shaft play, it's the normal wear and tear, you could always buy a used one and rebuild it if you feel comfortable breaking down the turbo. It's easy, just has to be done right.

I bought my turbos off of ebay, but I rebuilt them. Someone will come up with a place to buy them.

Ill def. check into it and see what I can figure out. See what got me though is that everyone says ya know get a name brand and all (which I understand) but a lot of used turbo's i see that are name brand have shaft play and even though thats normal wear and tear, what makes a $600 turbo that much better than maybe a $200 one? Better parts maybe or what?

Back