Using a laptop as a ecu or something?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

drpenguin

Could a laptop be mounted in a car and act as your ecu? What about having it mounted in the car to give you real time info about whats going on? Maybe on the fly changing of settings like vtec engage or rev limiter?

Originally posted by drpenguin@Nov 8 2004, 01:52 PM
Could a laptop be mounted in a car and act as your ecu? What about having it mounted in the car to give you real time info about whats going on? Maybe on the fly changing of settings like vtec engage or rev limiter?
[post=413846]Quoted post[/post]​

omg that would be uber like from fast and furious
w00t1

Uh, you need an ecu. To make your laptop into your ecu, you'd have to write a huge program that has several engine inputs, then you'd have to have software to monitor all the sensors dealing with the engine, and then you wou would have to fabricate a controller to interface the laptop and all the sensors together. I know I am missing something, but bottom line, unless you are a computer engineer, there is no way you are going to be able to do that yourself. Even if you were a computer engineer, you'd spend an butt load of money just to build something that has already been built and available at a fraction of a cost. Controlling your ecu is another story, and yes dataloggong software can monitor your engine. But it's only really needed for tuning. The only things important to monitor while driving are able to be monitored with guages, and they are much cheaper than datalogging stuff.

Can you real time data log with a hondata system? I want to mount my laptop in my car and have the read up right there while im driving!

do you really want windows to run your car? LMAO.

crash. FUCK i lost another race cuz i blue screened! lol

hondata supports real-time datalogging.

Hondata datalogger will give you a realtime readout of every engine sensor. You can use a hondata chipped ecu, their s200 blue box. They have a serial connection that connects to your laptop. Also you can get a realtime emulator or a romulator that allows you to make realtime changes to your fuel and ignition curves, vtec, rev limit, etc. 90% of the time I have my laptop in my car :D

Originally posted by 97CTR@Nov 8 2004, 05:40 PM
Hondata datalogger will give you a realtime readout of every engine sensor. You can use a hondata chipped ecu, their s200 blue box. They have a serial connection that connects to your laptop. Also you can get a realtime emulator or a romulator that allows you to make realtime changes to your fuel and ignition curves, vtec, rev limit, etc. 90% of the time I have my laptop in my car :D
[post=413873]Quoted post[/post]​

Does that require a wideband O2?

Originally posted by tab+Nov 8 2004, 08:29 PM-->
@Nov 8 2004, 05:40 PM
[post=413873]Quoted post[/post]​

Does that require a wideband O2?
[post=413952]Quoted post[/post]​

require, no.... but you'll have no idea wtf you've changed or where you were before really.
theres only so much you can read off the ignition and fuel charts without a resultset (ie, the wideband's a/f curve)

I also have a PLX wideband O2 hooked up with everything as well. Tuning is alot easier with dataloggin your air fuel ratios. B)

you can use an emulator; it pretty much hooks up to where the chip with all the maps go. you still need the actual ecu though; just that the maps are stored in the computer; but if the computer crash or something, youre screwed.

an emulator is just used so that you don't have to take the chip out and reburn every time you make adjustments, in the end, you burn the final to a regular eeprom and leave it in the ecu. uberdata does support real time data logging, and should support real time programming on the fly very very very soon :D uberdata owns you :p i have screenshots of teh datalogging graphs, but i host through wee todd did, and they don't support this site :(

Back