Using cooking oil to run cars!

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

94RedSiGal

There are ~$800 kits to convert a diesel powered vehicle to run on cooking oil. Just saw this on tv. One kid drove across country for free, he just would get free used cooking oil (from the fryolators) from the back of restaurants. lol

http://www.greasecar.com/

But it's free!

Well it's good to have these alternative fuel sources as gasoline is only going to get more expensive.

I wonder how a Cummins Turbo Diesel would run on that shit... Hmm...

When I was at Road Atlanta last September watching the Petit Le Mans race, there was some old car in the spectator lot what had a sign on it saying something about running on veggie oil.

Actually, years ago, I was really impressed with some old farmer from the Midwest that ran his vehicles on ethanol made from some of the corn grown on his farm and he used wind generated electricity. The kicker was that he only had a 5th grade education as his dad pulled him to work on the farm. This guy was like in his 80's. So it's cool that he didn't need a formal education to do all of this stuff.

Yah, they actually have a bus that runs on the stuff too. It came to UCLA and a bunch of other campuses to promote sustainablility.

I know there is a 240z that runs and old maxima motor that was laying down some pretty good numbers for running off of cooking oil...

I know this drunk motherfucker, he was trashed one day driving some big diesel ford, and runs outta fuel, and he was no where around a station that sold diesel. This drunk motherfucker went to the liquor store and poured a bottle of whiskey in his tank.....It ran and he still drives the truck.

Q Do you have less power with a greasecar system?
A There have been no complaints of power loss with converted vehicles. Some customers claim to notice smoother acceleration when running vegetable oil. May vary depending on vehicle.

Originally posted by Calesta@Jan 15 2005, 05:22 PM
That's pretty old news. The GreaseCar site has been up for quite some time.
[post=446135]Quoted post[/post]​

They had a blurb on this on my local newstation. I guess this was old news to some and new to others (me).

It's cool. There's a lot of cool technology out there. I heard about this probably 4-5 years ago, and I've always wondered about converting a diesel car over to run on oil.

Originally posted by NissanNiNjA2nd@Jan 14 2005, 06:43 PM
this stuff seriously has been used since the 60s to run all different kinds of diesels
[post=445825]Quoted post[/post]​

NissanNinja is the smartest person in this thread. That is all :)

-> Steve

Cooking oil is a viable power source, and if you live near a huge kitchen / factory then you're all set. Also, since the turn of the century factories and even a lot of shops use a heating called "waste oil", where - much like a Russian tank, you can basically piss any fluid into that tank you can get your hands on and it will power the heater.

Speaking of Russians, wait until you hear what they run their 400+ hp cars off of.

This technology is about two years old. Its been in numerous magazines, car and science, and we've talked about it. It has to be a certain kind of oil and i think you have to use regular fuel until the engine or something warms up and then switch to oil because if its to cold, itll get stuck.
Some family drove from west coast, somewhere north, washington i think, all the way down to mexico. they said it was extremely to find grease in mexico. im surprised with all the fried food they have.
anyway, learn something new everyday.

I saw two hippies in Oregon last year with a crew cab Ford F-250 diesel and it was marked with "this truck runs on veggie oil". If hippies weren't so slow, I would have stayed to watch them drive off.

Originally posted by Seany-izzle@Jan 14 2005, 05:36 PM
stinks like ass!!!
[post=445799]Quoted post[/post]​

Actually in the article they ran in the local paper it said that the exhaust actually smells like french fries. The great thing about this is that it is a win situation for everyone. Its good for resturants because we usually have to pay a rending service to take away our excess fryer grease. Its good for motorists because it is either free or low cost. Its good for the environment because it doesnt produce the emissions of oil based fuels (i think) and good for america in general because it lessens out reliance on foreign oil.
As i recal though, you have to start the vehicle on diesel, then flip a switch over to the grease, then turn it over to diesel as you turn it off.

Back