USPS Help

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

B16RacerN2NR

Working Hard
VIP
I had a set of 16x7 style 32 BMW wheels. I was going to put these on my 92 318is but I sold the car a long time ago. Since then i've been trying to sell the style 32's.

In November, I sold them to a guy on bimmerforums in Columbus, OH. The wheels weren't in the best condition but he bought them just to use as winter wheels. Anyway, I sent them through USPS on 11/25/09. I packed them up in 2 medium sized u-haul boxes with 2 wheels in each box. I just paid regular shipping and didn't get 'delivery confirmation.' I don't usually use USPS but FedEx and UPS wanted $60 each box to ship these. I sold them for $175 shipped. There was no way I was going to accept only $50 or so for these wheels. So I went with USPS and through them it was only $40 for each box.

I figured USPS had other means of tracking packages other than me PAYING for a tracking number. Apparently I was wrong. I didn't know 'delivery confirmation' meant that this is the way for them to track the package.

So now this guy is saying he never received the wheels. I have my receipt showing that I sent him the packages but USPS won't help me because I didn't pay for a tracking number/delivery confirmation.

About 2 weeks ago he put a claim on my PayPal account. Since then i've tried to get USPS to investigate where these packages are and they keep telling me the same shit about not having a tracking number. They advised me to open up a mail fraud investigation but I did that last week and I still haven't heard from them.

Is there anything else I or even PayPal can do? IMHO, this guy doesn't seem to really care. One of USPS' reps told me to have him check his local post office and see if there's any hold or something on his end. When I ask him if he's done or tried anything, he says that he'll do it later or he'll wait till I do as much as I can first. This doesn't sound like someone who has actually gotten ripped off. You'd think he'd be trying all kinds of things for us to get this resolved. I also have a PM from him on bimmerforums that is asking me for a tracking number because he thinks his postman may have, and I quote, "effed up."

Where the hell do I go from here? I would think USPS HAS TO have another way of tracking these packages for themselves if the consumer doesn't want/need a tracking number or delivery confirmation. Also, does this guy need to prove as well that he infact didn't receive my wheels before he is granted a refund?

I don't know where to go from here. If I have to refund PayPal back, i'm out that $175 plus the $80 I spent on shipping and my wheels are gone. Not to mention the difference I lost from the price I sold them for compared to the price I bought them for.

No, they don't have any other way to track packages.

If you have a receipt for shipping it, PayPal more than likely won't issue him a refund. He didn't opt to pay for insurance or delivery confirmation on shipping, so it's his problem - not yours.

If you have a receipt for shipping it, PayPal more than likely won't issue him a refund. He didn't opt to pay for insurance or delivery confirmation on shipping, so it's his problem - not yours.
This sounds reassuring, thanks. I still have the receipt in hand too. If he escalates this dispute to a claim on PayPal, do I bring this point up about him not opting for insurance or delivery confirmation? Or will they take it upon themselves to realize that?

what I would do at this point if I were you is contact paypal before he does (if he does) and let them know what's going on. Send an email to customer support or whatever, include the transaction number and all the transaction details, and let them know in the email that the buyer did not want to pay extra for delivery confirmation or shipping insurance, and that you shipped the item and have the receipt for the shipping, however the buyer is claiming not to have received the package.

I'm fairly certain that PayPal deals with shit like this on a regular basis.

during the claim you can scan or photograph documents for proof. they will ask for them.

what I would do at this point if I were you is contact paypal before he does (if he does) and let them know what's going on. Send an email to customer support or whatever, include the transaction number and all the transaction details, and let them know in the email that the buyer did not want to pay extra for delivery confirmation or shipping insurance, and that you shipped the item and have the receipt for the shipping, however the buyer is claiming not to have received the package.

I'm fairly certain that PayPal deals with shit like this on a regular basis.
Well he's the one who started the dispute through PayPal, but he has yet to escalate it to a claim. He has till the 5th to do so, according to PayPal. I will send them that e-mail now though, thanks.

during the claim you can scan or photograph documents for proof. they will ask for them.
Yeah, i've already got the original receipt scanned and ready to go :)

no just contact them and ask what you should do..

:werd:

looks better for you if you are the one to contact them first about this dispute

:werd:

looks better for you if you are the one to contact them first about this dispute
Yeah, I just did.

I also read the seller's protection section and it states I only get the seller protection if "I" ship the item with some sort of delivery confirmation. Hopefully my receipt for shipping the item is enough proof...

paypal will weigh in your favor with a tracking number.
since you don't have that, you're fucked.

work it out with him as best you can... and spend the $5 next time.

On the logistics end, you're beat.

The USPS doesn't have a very solid tracking system in the first place, but any orders sent non-priority mail will not receive a delivery confirm or tracking unless bought as an accessorial.

I would have if they even offered it to me and explained to me exactly what it is lol. Delivery confirmation, to me, sounds like they are just going to let me know when it's delivered lol. If they said this is your tracking number and it will help just in case of... then I would have taken it lol. Like I said, I usually ship with FedEx or UPS, so i've never even had to ask for that option, it was always already included.

the thing is.. its only 75 cents for a confirmation number.. i get it regardless if they ask for it or not... thought everyone knew to do that

oh, and USPS tracking system has gotten better than it was in the past

Which is very retarded. They are the damn lifeline for our mail. You'd think they would have a better system. Oh well, we'll just have to wait and see if this turns out ok for me :(

Hey you stop that talk. They lost 6billion + this year. I sell against the USPS. My wallet is much thicker due to their lackluster technology. Although they've made HUGE strides in terms of manifesting shipments and integrating software this past year - their physical network and tracking system still require large improvements.

For what it's worth, having a reciept isn't going to help you much if anything. All it shows is that you shipped SOMETHING on a certain date. Not what it was. I'm not even sure if the ship to address is even on the receipt. I never remebered seeing one whenever I shipped stuff. Sorry to rain on your parade in that regard but I don't want you to get your hopes up with paypal. They have a history of "guilty until proven innocent" when it comes to seller disputes.

I would expect to eat this transaction. You will likely lose since evidence is not on your side. And the buyers lack of cooperation suggests to me that he may have recieved the wheels but noticed that you did not get delivery confirmation and is trying to scam you. It happens a lot. If you lose out in the end, use this as a learning experience and ALWAYS get delivery confirmation in the future.

Back