v-tec not engaging?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

raging_pit

Hi all, I just bought a '95 civic ex w/d16z6. Ram-air, headers, exhaust and that's it so far. It's idling low,but I'm pretty sure it's the iacv. When I get to 4500 rpm it feels like i hit an invisIble wall or something. I get to 4,500 and the damned thing just stops all progression. What the hell is going on here? I assume the engine should rev much higher than that. I've read that the cam change over happens around 5,000-5,500 rpm, so is this a problem with the v-tec or what? Any help would greatly be appreciated.

I just saw a post on this very same situation, and it wasn't vtec that caused it. not much of a help, i know. but, yeah, like he said...check for codes.

I thought so. I pulled the battery cable to reset the ecu, and I'm hoping to find something today. I'm taking it by my buddy's import shop today to check the iacv and the v-tec. Thanks for the heads-up though.

Not getting a cel, so there aren't any codes. Adjusted timing and idle is better, still hitting that damned wall though...

voila!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It was the oil pressure plug! The terminal was loose inside the plug. A little bending with the tip of the meter probe and all is well!!! Thanks for the info, I'm loving this variable timing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Back