v6 awd crx

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Travisl

do u think it would be worth the time and money to make a crx awd with a v6 motor

nope. you might as well turbo a b series motor and throw it in there. a lot less hassle and it'll run the v6 all day.

making it awd and d-series with a 4wd wagovan drivetrain would be crazy difficult as it is. far as i'm aware its only been done once that i know of. somehow trying to fit a v6 in there and make it awd is ridiculous to say the least. you'd have to mount it transversely and find an awd v6 tranny. there isn't even close to enough room in an ef's engine bay to try somethin like that.

like the other guy said turbo a b-series. or hell for the insane amounts of money it would cost to try somethin like that, you'd be better off putting it toward a k-series.

i was thinking of this cause u can get more power out of a v6 then a 4 cylinder and im doing awd regardless i like to be difeernt and i know how to do awd it will take a lil money but i know i can do it

Their's a difference between determination, and just not knowing what you're getting into. i can assure you unless you have superb fabricating skills, and an equally as awesome bank account balance, this is not worth the time you would put into it.

if your dead set on trying to make it awd which is quite a feat in itself. i suggest you do some searching and find the guys who made the black hatch with the wagovan drivetrain in it running a boosted sohc vtec engine.

and yes you could make more power out of a v6 over a 4 cyl. because quite simply there is two more cylinders. however its just not necessary. There are v8 engines making thousands of horsepower, but in a honda that kind of power just isn't needed, and it would be impossible to get to the ground. it hasn't become popular to move away from the standard 4cyl powerplant, because the 4cyl engines work just fine. built and boosted they make ample horsepower and torque with more then enough mmph to get down the track with 12, 11, and 10 second passes regardless of chassis. also i'm not aware of a transversely mounted awd v6 transmission, but i'd bet if there is one its carrying a hefty pricetag.

I'm saving you a shit ton of trouble right now trust me. just stick with a d,b,or k-series engine. despite the fact that this engine/trans combo literally won't fit in a rex, the money it would cost you to make this happen could be much better spent on a different engine/trans combination, and leave you a much quicker more reliable car at the end of the day.

ninja edit: here is a thread covering the beginning steps to converting a rex to awd with the wagovan drivetrain. many people feel like this is not even worth attempting. imagine how much more difficult an awd v6 conversion would be.. http://www.homemadeturbo.com/forum/index.php?topic=96607.0

Last edited:
buy a used wrx and save a ton of money, oh and have a car that looks better, drives better, and is more reliable.

The problem with doing the awd with a J32 V6 or J35 would be trying to find a manual trans in awd.. if you like auto then u could just use a ridgeline trans or pilot trans and obvously modifyed axles but ur outta luck for the awd manual trans in the v6 but finding an Orthia rear end or CRV rear end would be your best bet

unbelievable,but i half expect it from this kid

some questions for you travis.

do you own and know how to operate a wire feed welder?

do you have a 6' contractors square?

do you own a pipe bender?

have you ever fabricated your own automobile chassis/custom suspension system before?

seriously, after you buy your welder, pipe bender and square, you should design and build a go-kart.

then you can purchase your driveline components and car you are going to modify.

then you can come here and ask us if it's possible so we know you are serious, not just high.:D

Wait, isn't this the same guy who posted on how to make cheap power in his CRX? Stating he only had $500 to spend? But now you wanna do a swap that would cost about $10k in hard parts alone (motor tranny, axles, driveshaft, rear dif, subframes, etc) and then the harnesses and ecu and and and. You aren't making sense here buddy. By the time you sold it, it would only be worth about $6k, what a huge loss for a huge waste of time. If you want awd, buy a Subaru. Stage 2 it and drive it whenever and however you want.
I have a stage 2 04 STi for sale right now if you're interested. $16k and its yours!!!

no this is a tread my freind strated he also has a crx.

Last edited:
Have him sign up for his own account.

Also, It IS possible, whether it is worth it or not is completely a matter of personal choice. We can't tell you if it is worth it or not, that is up for you to decide. Now, we can help with the technical aspects of such a swap.. Assist in research and give advice, but to take the dive, spend the cash, and do all that work for such a vehicle is entirely up to you. Just know that you are looking at weeks if not months of fabrication and piles of cash. This isn't a bolt-on affair and there are no "kits" for such a thing.

i love how everytime someone posts some ridiculous thread about "i wanna turbo my supercharged s2k motor and drop it into my EF civic" or some shit like that, and everyone on this site who knows what the fuck they are talking about shits on that dumbass persons idea, that stupid fuck says that his "friend" posted it. just think man.....think

Back