V6 EF hatch

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

blownv6hatchback

I was given an 89 Honda hatchback a couple of years ago by a perfect stranger. Whom, I have never met personally. Someone who knows me told him that if he wanted to give it away, I would be the best candidate, because he loved his car and dreamed of building it up, and I am known to do just that. Well, the engine was huffed, so I stripped the engine bay and dropped a c27 and 5 speed in it. The engine extends all of the way into radiator's original location but I mounted it in this position anyway because of oil pan clearance, engine leveling, weight distribution, etc.. I removed fuel tank and fabbed a new one out of street signs to take Honda parts. I also used a Honda filler neck to make filler neck for fuel cell. The cell is intended to be placed in rear hatch area(a point to question). I then finished clearing area under back seat where original fuel tank was located and purchased a radiator with duel fans to fit in this location(another point to question). I noticed that the brakes were pretty lame for the application that I have in mind so I purchased spindle knuckles, hubs and brakes for an 01 accord sedan. They barely fit. I had to ream the lower control arm's ball joint seat and I will need a camber kit for 89 hatch. I amputated the rear spindle with a die grinder and replaced it with a hub from a 93 eclipse rear disc. The hub was cast with caliper bolt locations and matched 01 accord 5 lug pattern. I have been collecting parts for two years and I am down to the short list. I have 4" exhaust(point to question),headers not built yet, Megasquirt fuel injection, m90 supercharger, intake not fabbed yet, strut tower brace, short shifter, prelude pedal arrangement to get hydraulic clutch, almost bolts in, no shift bars yet. The supercharger will stick out of the hood 3" so I need a hood relief, or scoop, that may double as a ballistics restraint. Engine needs to handle up to 1.6 bars. Maybe, there are some engineering cues for cam profile that compliment the supercharger. What drivability problems could surface with an estimated 425-450 blown horsepower I am not limited to practicality for this project. I don't care if the whole thing explodes when I launch it but I would like to give this project it's best chance for maximum potential. So I would love to see opinions and raise questions I may not have thought of yet.

Last edited:
chunked for readability:

i was given an 89 honda hatchback a couple of years ago by a perfect stranger whom i have never met personally some one who knows me told him that if wanted to give it away i would be the best candidate because he loved his car and dreamed of building it up and i am known to do just that.

well the engine was huffed so i stripped the engine bay and dropped a c27 and 5 speed in it the engine extends all of the way into radiator's original location but i mounted it in this position anyway because of oil pan clearance engine leveling weight distribution etc.

i removed fuel tank and fabbed a new out of street signs to take honda parts i even used a honda filler neck to make filler neck for fuel cell the cell is intended to be placed in rear hatch area(a point to question). i then finished clearing area under back seat where original fuel tank was located and purchased a radiator with duel fans to fit in this location(another point to question).

i noticed that the brakes were pretty lame for the application that i have in mind so i purchased spindle knuckles hubs and brakes for a 01 accord sedan they barely fit i had to ream the lower control arm's ball joint seat and i will need a camber kit for 89 hatch i amputated the rear spindle with a die grinder and replaced it with a hub from a 93 eclipse rear disc which was cast with caliper bolt locations and matched 01 accord 5 lug pattern.

i have been collecting parts for two years and i am down to the short list. i have 4" exhaust(point to question)headers not built yet megasquirt fuel injection m90 supercharger intake not fabbed yet strut tower brace short shifter prelude pedal arrangement to get hydraulic clutch almost bolts in no shift bars yet.

the supercharger will stick out of the hood 3" so i need a hood relief or scoop that may double as a ballistics restraint engine needs to handle up to 1.6 bars maybe there are some engineering cues for cam profile that compliment the supercharger what drivability problems could surface with an estimated 425-450 blown horsepower.

i am not limited to practicality for this project i don't care if the whole thing explodes when i launch it but i would like to give this project it's best chance for maximum potential so i would love to see opinions and raise questions i may not have thought of yet.
------------------------
ok now that that's done, i want pics :D

I need pictures. The area where the tank goes gets no airflow. The SC shouldn't poke out. As far as the radiator location up front, you can ALWAYS put something up front. I am using a Corvette radiator in my CRX with the turbo (I don't like the turbo being so close to the radiator). My CRX has a header panel, and I had to move a few things to make a fit.

I would love to see pics of close radiator fit. I may use a small spoiler, or airflow may be resolved when I try to straighten airflow under car, i.e.front/rear air diffuser. I really cannot set the engine any lower, and I am already considering hacking the oil pan for clearance. I'll get pictures today, but they may come slowly until I figure out how to link them. I will put a picture in my profile. That front cylinder head protrudes forward pretty far so I will have to remove the hood latch area to change spark plugs.

Last edited:
no info or advice for ya, just wanted to say this is a sweet idea.

this is 4" exhaust with a spring seat next to it for scale

img00052ec4.jpg

an interesting job that i already completed can be found if you google these characters;
mk1 aw11 mr2 v6 this job went to the owners head so we don't get along anymore he gives me some credit on the first page my name is bob i did the swap body kit and paint also well everything

I intend to rag this thing on the street until it blows up. I got some solicitations from sponsorship agencies but I think they are scammers. It would be cool to race this thing. I built a big block Monte-Carlo to NHRA spec before so I know I could set up for track racing.That v6 MR2 won at Hot Import Nights for engineering so I know the hatch can show too. Maybe some input from people with sponsor experience.

@sponsors... if you've done nothing and they are coming to you, they are probably scammers. Go out and race, get some media/vids/etc and then start talking to companies.

anyway, wrong forum noob :D

how'd you get it all to work? mounts? wiring? etc. a how to would be dope.

Yep they are scammin. Anyway I form mounts from raw material with torch, hammer, grinder, and an artistic touch.Some high service parts are outsourced. Built to my specs at whatever machine shops that have required equipment,i.e; axles, axle carriers, and parts that need gasket seals.Here in Columbus, Ohio we have a full range of machine shops that can make anything I can think of. I am currently figuring out a plan for "how to" presentation. I am going to start the supercharger intake in a day or two with pictures so I can keep this thread going.
How can I move this thread to correct forum?

I already moved it :)

can't wait to see a write up

riiiight...theres already a lot of missing room in that engine bay, not a good way to cool the charge, and a lot of piping on a low torque motor.

rear mount turbo FTL.

I just have to say that is sweeeet!

maybe leave the blower visible outside the hood, cut a hole around it a'la old school hot rod for some flavor.

Wow, I almost thought you weren't serious. I have only seen pictures of a few cars done up like this

I had a T3-T4 turbo for it. I built a y pipe setup for it . It would have been located near where the driver side motor mount was located. I couldn't get it under the hood, it stuck out about 3" with the inlet facing forward.The exhaust piping was close around the cv shaft and rack and pinion.The engine mounts are all urethane bushings now so it wouldn't have been a problem.

I'm picking up some steel for manifold at recycling yard today.They only want $.20 per pound and have the best selection of materials. Blower is propped to help visualize manifold proportions. I wish I could move the alternator but there is no room.I took measurements of port locations and transfered shape of ports to paper by rubbing with my thumb.

Last edited:
Back