V6 Swap in-to Civic

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

HandicapRacer

Ok guys, I HAVE searched, but found nothing. Im trying to find any threads or websites that have topics on swapping V6's into the EG Hatch Chassis. Im planning on doing this swap as a personal project,then turning it into a "shop" project. Ive decided on the C32a from a 2nd Gen Acura Legend.

If anyone has any information or pics regarding any similar V6 swaps please post. I need to find as much info as possible. Ive searched google, honda-tech and many others but came up with insufficient info or non at all.

thanks in advance!

- John.

I don't think anyone has ever done this before, and if they have it hasn't been documented or had poor results.

Have you measured the bay and the engine to make sure it will even fit?

All I know is you will have to do a lot of fabbing for this, not something that I would even consider doing, but props for the creativity.

If you decide to do this, make a build thread. Good luck.

Thanks for the reply, this is in the early stages of planning still.

im looking for a 5-6 speed tranny with either a C32 from a legend or J30 from a honda odyssey.

Im eve nlooking into taking the aWd system from a honda CRV and mating it to another b series engine for an AWd monster. Havent taken measurem ents yet, just getting opinions still.

but the RHd conversion will be done first with an SiR2 swap from a full half cut SiR2.

This would be very sweet to see done, but I honestly think there are better and more efficient ways to get the power you are looking for.

Honestly... You'd almost be better off looking for a Non-Honda engine, or just dropping in ANOTHER motor in the back, and fabbing a seperate RWD system... There is a 94 Olds Cutlass with 2 3800 Motors in it, seperate ECU's, Seperate Trans, etc. It'd have to be Automatic, but it'd be something to think about.

AWD has been done and frankly, it's very expensive and it does't help performance much at all. You will be over 20k into this and still not have it done, and if it does get done, you won't be happy with the results.

The twin engine thing was also done in a tiburon. Thing was crazy fast.

I know I read somewhere that someone did an awd conversion on an integra or something and were disappointed with the results.

as far as money goes just to get the car ON the road and driveable this what ive come to.

Shell (500-1000)
RHD Half Cut (3000)
Engine w. tranny (1500-2200)
Materials (500)

My OVERALL estimate was 10K for everything, and thats including a decent suspension.

But for now ive just decided to go K24/20.

that v6 civic doesn't even look that quick and the reason I bet he did it was to try an drift it, but it doesn't seem right(it doesn't pull hard enough) you need to be able to rev up quicker. and they went really expensive for it, if you notice it is using a porche trans mission(its mounted to the rear end) very high dollar trans, and everything else had to be fabbed up to work like the drive shaft and it tube(pretty much a big thick pipe to house the drive shaft and connect the engine to the rear end). ann the rear suspension and front cross member.

if you went on a cheaper budget, and could do all the work your self you could have it done for less than a grand depending on where you get everything. I would use a 1st gen rx7 rearend its a solid axle, narrow and has rear disc brakes(alot easier to mount, just get a latter bar kit from summit or get all the rod ends and make your own) and what ever engine you use you would need to make a front cross member/engine cradle. and just make the mounts. if you use an automatic trans the shifter would be cake, if you use a stick the easiest thing to do would be to mount the engine and trans to where the shifter sits right in the hole where it should be even if the engine sits against the radiator support. but if not you could cut a new hole and try to make a new center console. but again it all depends on what part you decide to use. I am doing a crazy swap right now but its on pause thanks to a sh**ty welder and some engine rebuild issues, I am putting an RWD Nissan 300zx turbo 3.0l v6 into a 94 geo tracker. All i need to do is make the engine and transmission mounts and put it all together when I get the engine back. If I don't break anything it should be nasty quick. the tracker is lighter than the 300 and the gears are alot taller, the 300 rear end is a 3.80 something and the geo use like a 5.30 something.

to think that mustang guys swap to 4.10 gears and have alot of fun at the track. I'm probably going to have a top speed of like 80-100 or so. but its going to take off like a bat out of hell,lol. If I can stuff a fat enough tire On the geo wheels, it sleeper, its going to look all stock, I might get the original wheels banded(they weld a band to it to make them wider, its an old school trick from the 70 Mustang's and Camaro's) and just use some m/t street slicks,lol.

PS. I'm looking for a cheap turbo t3 flange, or ideas for a junkyard turbo(what cars) I'm thinking toward the Benz t3 weird looking exhaust housing but I'm sure I could make it work, but i don't like that is is only oil cooled/ not coolant. I think its a KKK brand but its a t3. any other ideas for a decent t3, I just want like 8-10psi on the daily and about 15-20psi on the track days.

I know I once saw a Honda V6 swapped into a late model civic hatch.
This was over a year ago at the local yard. It was completely totaled, so it was difficult to tell how it had been done and I was time limited in my search for parts.

Thinking back, I'm pretty sure it was set up to run RWD, and I don't think there was any room for the cooling system. Even if he hadn't wrecked it, it wouldn't have been useful for anything but 1/4 mile runs.

I have seen some crazy custom fabbing to get past the little problems and the whole sleeper thing. I seen a toyota paseo with a NA supra motor, they had 2 small all aluminum radiators on each side of the cars front end

l'''''''''''''''''''''l ===== l'''''''''''''''''''l
l l l l
l l l l
l________l ===== l_______l

they were connected at the top and bottom(essentially it was like one huge radiator since the tanks were connected), it worked great for the guy
he said he would run it hot(no fan fuse sitting still) and he would plug up the fuse and it cooled right down, and I seen firewalls cut back, new cross members cut up floors(hard to get a transmission under a fwd tunnel, its only meant for the exhaust), I've seen rear floors missing in mustangs(they use it to make crazy latter bar set-ups and fit fatter tires under them).

Do you say your going to cross the river and just go around? I don't I get a cross, I make the bridge, you do it just to get it done. you would be surprized how many unfinished projects are rusting away in junk yards.

Ha ha, I just read all that, I sound like a preacher,lol!!!

It wont let me do it right,lol

here is some MS Paint

paseosetup.jpg

Last edited:
AHEM!!

1. This thread was almost three months old before you brought it back from the dead.

2. I seriously doubt that anyone would be able build a rear-wheel drive V6 Civic for a grand and have it be anything other than a complete POS.

3. Yes, it's a neat idea, but honestly it's very impractical. Really the only reason to do it is to be different. You could build a faster FWD Honda for much less money.

And

4. To the original poster (if he's even still reading this thread): you're all over the place here dude. If you seriously want to try and drop a V6 into a Civic and convert it to RWD, then don't bother with the RHD front clip, or the K-Series Swap. All that is gonna cost big bucks right now and you're just going to have to rip it all out and completely fabricate mounts and such when it comes time to start the V6 Swap project.

That is all.

yeah the video of that civic was sh**y it looked really slow.

my swap is way more practical. And you would be surprised what I could do with a Grand. I spent 300 on a turbo 300zx got the plate steel for the new motors mounts for free(someone on craigslist.com advertised free scrap metal) Electrical is free(doing all the wiring myself). all the labor is free(again muah). I am using all the stock nissan parts like motor mounts and trans mounts, electrical fans. I might need a new radiator and I kinda want a new clutch Kit(I hate when people reuse the pressure plate, it looks like they just changed the clutch and machined the press plate and flywheel, its got heat spots but the clutch disc looks perfect). I will weld up a new driveshaft, maybe have one made(about 40-150 depends what they do). exhaust Im just going to get about 12ft of 3 in straight exhaust pipe(15-30 depends how thick) and I will just do cut bends(similar to airplane exhaust they just cut angles and re-weld them to bend). everything is going to be mig welded(not as pretty as tig. I wish I had a tig machine to play with,lol)

PS all this rear wheel drive noise came after Tokyo drift, everyone want a rwd to drift. But all the people that bought Honda's and other fwd compacts(of course after the first Fast and furious) all want in on the drift scene now. Honda Nissan Mazda and all the jap car companies owe Fast and Furious alot of thanks,lol. if it weren't for them Honda would just be a fuel economy car!!!!!

Last edited:
Yeah I suppose if you have hookups on parts, and are skilled enough to do all the labor yourself, you could pull it off. But for the average guy it would cost craploads of money to have a shop do it for them, that's all I'm trying to say.

I mean if you can get the parts and make it work, go for it.

for the average guy its just stupid, if you had to pay for labor(60-80 an hour). plus store bought metal(At least 200-1000 depending on where you live) it all adds up. If its a turbo car they might charge extra for "tunning" they'll charge for every drop of fluids that go in(even stuff they spill) they will charge for "Research"(they will search all over the internet lookin for anything ell that has that engine and trans swap). Its all money, Thats why I do it my self. if it turns out to be a POS what does it matter I spent a few hundred and know my capabilities. If you dont think you know what your doing to waste your time. start will smaller projects and work your way up, get a scrap motor for your car that needs one and rebuild it, then put it in your car and cross your fingers, if it works SWEET if not do it again. always keep the manual on your side(its like a bible,lol). go to school take some auto tech classes, if you are good your teacher will let you know, if not bust your ass till you get it right.

ha ha ha again with the preacher,lol

but really if you think you can do it you can!!!

I bet ya'll are all laughing, LMAO

Back