Vacation 2015

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

I don't like flying either, but it's not because I'm afraid of it. It's because I like to leave when I'm ready, & I like to stop when I want to. Basically I just want to be in control.

that is so unreasonable and irrational. do you have the same issues with taking a cab or riding the bus? lol

It's not unreasonable at all. I feel the same way.

It's actually faster to drive up to a certain distance. say, 500 miles?

You don't have to get to the airport 3 hours early to find parking, pay, wait for a shuttle to the terminal cuz the lot is 2 miles away, sign in, wait some more. board, wait some more. fly next to screaming babies and BOB who takes up 3 seats and stinks of sloppy Joes next to you while mrs doubtfire plays... land (hopefully), sit there delayed on the tarmac, until you can exit the plane, wait for bags (hopefully), wait for the shuttle to take you to enterprise to get a car, do more paper work....

on the way back you gotta get to the rental car place 4 hours before the flight to return the car, wait for their shuttle to take you to the terminal, wait more at the airport, again sit next to BOB, land, wait for your shuttle to your own car again..

I was a bit apprehensive of flying but after my first trip to florida (with total time in the air being 2 ish hours, vs the 20-24 hours of driving) i was sold.
when I was a kid we did the trip to florida through the night, one shot. The last few times driving there have been 2 or 3 day ventures traveling with older folks.
It really eats up a lot of your vacation time.

I was a bit apprehensive of flying but after my first trip to florida (with total time in the air being 2 ish hours, vs the 20-24 hours of driving) i was sold.
when I was a kid we did the trip to florida through the night, one shot. The last few times driving there have been 2 or 3 day ventures traveling with older folks.
It really eats up a lot of your vacation time.
It takes orders of magnitudes longer and is typically more expensive. Sightseeing I can understand it if is a somewhat scenic route. Otherwise fly that ish! :)

One of these years when I have a nicer car, or I rent one, I'm going to do the 101 down to California and back. My coworker did it last year and said it was so worth it.

It's not unreasonable at all. I feel the same way.

It's actually faster to drive up to a certain distance. say, 500 miles?

You don't have to get to the airport 3 hours early to find parking, pay, wait for a shuttle to the terminal cuz the lot is 2 miles away, sign in, wait some more. board, wait some more. fly next to screaming babies and BOB who takes up 3 seats and stinks of sloppy Joes next to you while mrs doubtfire plays... land (hopefully), sit there delayed on the tarmac, until you can exit the plane, wait for bags (hopefully), wait for the shuttle to take you to enterprise to get a car, do more paper work....

on the way back you gotta get to the rental car place 4 hours before the flight to return the car, wait for their shuttle to take you to the terminal, wait more at the airport, again sit next to BOB, land, wait for your shuttle to your own car again..

Nobody said anything about 500 miles. I was referring to the mindset. Sometimes you can't just drive yourself to where you want to go

Back