Vacuum Hose Mistake...

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

daddephatsack

I have a 92 prelude si that i got about 3 months ago. Just today i bought new vacuum hoses for the engine and i started swapping out the stock black ones for my new blue ones. I got one done and moved onto the next which was apparently a hose connecting the intake manifold to the master cylinder(this is what i think it is but if you have any other idea please lemme know). When i removed the first half of the hose, which was connected to the intake manifold, nothing happened and it was replaced easily. However, when i took off the second half(the two halves are connected by a purge valve type thing) it had air pressure. Well i replaced this one too, not sure whether or not the loss of pressure caused any problems. I tried to turn the car on and it was fine but the brakes are very hard. They still work but the pedal doesnt move much. I know im a dumbass and i should've checked what hose i was disconnecting but i bought a chiltons manual for my car and it doesnt have any pictures of the complete engine bay so its hard to get an idea of what you are working with unless you already know all the parts. I've learned my lesson and i will be more patient. In the chiltons manual it says bleeding the brake fluid might fix it but im wondering if any of you could be any help or might have any experience with this sort of thing. Any advice on the replacement of hoses would be appreciated also. Thanks alot.

You disconnected the brake booster. The pressure that was there meant nothing. I'd leave the stock vacuum line on the booster. It's a much harder compound than normal silicone or rubber hose because it has to be such larger diameter.

Also, might want to check and make sure the one way valve that you took off the hoses is in the right direction. It's like a one way mirror, it only works one way correctly. ;)

It's supposed to be able to suck from the intake manifold, and blow from the master cylinder area. You can test it by trying to blow through the valve. It's a one way thing. Most of those have a flow direction arrow on them. Point the arrow to the intake manifold.

Back