VAFC Controller bypass engine code?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

kylelohrenz

Hey guys,

I have been having trouble with a OBD1 b16 engaging vtec. As soon as it throws a 36 code (JDM traction control is all I have found about the code) vtec will not engage. No other codes are present but as soon as I clear this 36 code, vtech works through 1rst gear until it throws the 36 code again. Will a VAFC bypass this problem? I am under the impression that the VAFC will allow me to adjust the RPM at which the vtec engages so it is not relying on the ECU in any way to vtec, only the engine sensors. Is this correct? Thanks for any info on the possible bypass or code 36!

As far as I know 36 is not a valid code. Is that ECU chipped? Try a friend's P30 or something to see if the ECU itself is the problem or not.

The VAFC will bypass the need for the VTEC Pressure Switch so VTEC will engage but the ECU still controls the redline. So if that weird code is making the car not rev to 8200 like it's suppose to, then you're still screwed.

Plus, the VAFC will only band-aid your problem, you got bigger problems if your ECU is throwing an invalid code and it needs to be fixed. JDM traction control? Never knew a code was dependent on it's country lol

Thanks for the reply. I had the same code on my race civic with another P30 ECU. Neither ECU is chipped. The 36 code info that I have found designates a "traction control found only on JDM ECU's. I never did figure out the 36 code on my race civic. Sometimes it would throw it and sometimes it wouldn't. I guess I could just have two messed up ECU's but man that seems far fetched. Thanks for the info!

Thanks for the reply. I had the same code on my race civic with another P30 ECU. Neither ECU is chipped. The 36 code info that I have found designates a "traction control found only on JDM ECU's. I never did figure out the 36 code on my race civic. Sometimes it would throw it and sometimes it wouldn't. I guess I could just have two messed up ECU's but man that seems far fetched. Thanks for the info!
No problem. You can always run a stock P28 and see what happens. Then if the P28 throws no codes and acts normal then take the P28 and tune that son bitch with crome or uberdata.

Back